Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser redirects randomly, computer sometimes sluggish

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lordjames

lordjames

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:59 AM

I am using Windows XP. About two weeks ago, I was using Firefox when AVG Free informed me of potential malware and trojan threats. I told it to block/remove them and I continued on as normal. Eventually I noticed that Firefox would, on occasion, randomly redirect to a different web address. These web addresses seem to have nothing in common and appeared to be unique every time.

I ran a full scan through AVG Free and it picked up two trojans and removed them. I then ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it detected malware and claimed to have removed it. I continued on as normal figuring my computer was okay now.

However, after an initial false sense of security, Firefox started redirecting at random again. Then it closed itself without notice, and a windows security scan started. I couldn't do anything with this window, so panicking, thinking it was fake and actually an infection, I managed to close it. From this point on however, opening a program brings up an "Open With" window giving me the option to select which program to open the 'file' with. I managed to get Firefox to open, by selecting Firefox as the program to use. I did the same with Malwarebytes, but part way through it encountered an error and had to close.

What can I do to get rid of this once and for all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Curiousp

Curiousp

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:18 AM

Hello :hello:

I believe a smart thing to do would be scan with Hitman Pro, SuperAntiSpyware, Eset Online Scan and Dr Web Cure it. These are all recommended to detect and quarantine harmful or potentially malicious software. I know there are a lot listed here, but it is better to ensure that your system is clean then leave a virus in the wait.

I also suggest downloading Firefox 4 (if you have a older version)
Download Adblock Plus add on (blocks redirecting ads and other nuisances)
Download WOT (Web of Trust which tells you which sites are safe to use)
Download NoScript (blocks scripts that malware use to exploit your browser and load onto the system)

This may help to prevent future infections. I also suggest uploading Sysinspector log to Eset's website by downloading the file (search for Sysinspector download Nod32). This log lists running processes and critical system files that the professionals of eset analyse, to discover any hidden rootkits or infections.

Hope this helps

#3 lordjames

lordjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

I have run all the scans you recommended. By all appearances, Firefox is not randomly redirecting anymore. However the issue of applications bringing up the "Open With" window is still occurring. Should I open another topic to get assistance with this?

#4 Curiousp

Curiousp

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:08 AM

It's good that firefox is not redirecting anymore. What did the scans I mention detect? The type of virus found is essential in determining the type of infection that is present. I believe that the virus has configured part of your registry to this "open with." Yes, opening another topic would be a good idea as people who are adept in the configuration of windows will be able to tell you how to fix it and discover whether the virus is still there, although if the scans come up with the all clear you should be fine, and the virus' changes are still there. This is where another person can support you.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users