Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files do not appear in folders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tw2345

tw2345

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:16 AM

I will do my best to sum up my problem.

I turned on my old computer (Running XP) that has run fine for about 7 years today for the first time in about two weeks and immediately I had some script errors continuously popping up and even something saying something was wrong with the hard drive (which is where I suspect this problem lies). I restarted the computer and the hard drive error went away but the scripts kept popping up. In addition, when I went in to any folders on the Desktop or My Documents, My Music, etc. the files did not show up. However, the files still exist according to both the Folder Properties and when I tried to play a music file in iTunes that was located in My Music it still played. All of the files in Program Files are still there (though that may only be because of the System Restore).

So, I did my research and found that it was a rootkit causing this problem (the scripts were related to a Google redirect thing, similar to the one outlined in this thread). After trying a couple of System Restores with no success, I ran Hitman (TDSSKiller would not run), removed the rootkit, and restarted the computer. The scripts and the Google redirects are now gone thanks to Hitman, but I still cannot access my files in Explorer or even through the Command Prompt. Any ideas on what might be causing this? Should I do a Defrag or Disk Cleanup or something like that to try to correct it? I don't know if it would be related to the rootkit or not, but the computer ran just fine until today. As I said one of the missing files played in iTunes so they all must still exist.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by tw2345, 19 April 2011 - 12:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:34 AM

I still cannot access my files in Explorer or even through the Command Prompt. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

This is a result of the malware changing the file attributes to "hidden".

Please download and run the unhide.exe file prepared by Grinler, to remove the "hidden" attribute from all files.

Direct download link: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe

Please let us know the result.

Edited my post: to remove inaccurate statement, add correct information and add quote by Grinler pertaining to the action of unhide.exe

This will cause all files to have the Hidden attribute removed, even those that were set by the user themselves.

System files that are normally hidden by default, will not have their "hidden" attribute removed, and will remain hidden.

Edited by AustrAlien, 19 April 2011 - 07:25 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users