Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Super Slow Machine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chijeff

chijeff

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:13 AM

Hello, and please forgive me if I am posting incorrectly. I have an HP Pavillion a6400f desktop. The machine has become increasingly slow in the past several months leading me to wonder if it has been hijacked. Here are the details;

- The machine came pre-loaded with Vista Home 3 years ago, but due to non-compatible work software, I had to roll it back to XP Professional
- I have 4 Gigs of RAM (I know only 3 are recognized by XP)
- I recently upgraded the processor from the original Core2 Duo to a 2.85 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 to try to increase speed
- I have run full MalwareBytes Scans, as well as PC Tools Spyware Doctor scans with no viruses or Malware detected
- I have defragged the hard drive
- When I run Systernals Process Explorer, I can't see anything hording processor or memory resources
- Other machines on my network that connect wirelessly seem to run faster than this machine which is hard-wired to my router

If I post a Hijackthis log, is there anyone who can examine it for me?

Thanks,

Jeff C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

HijackThis logs are not permitted in this forum. Further, HijackThis only scans certain areas of a computer's system/registry to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. Therefore, it is limited in its ability to detect infection and generate a report outside these known hiding places and its log may not always reveal all the malware on a computer. As such, HijackThis has been replaced by other preferred tools like DDS, OTL and RSIT that provide comprehensive logs with specific details about more areas of a computer's system, files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection.

If you want to post a log, please follow the directions in the the "Preparation Guide". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 7 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log. Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users