Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ms removal tool

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MLn*Po

MLn*Po

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:12 AM

IM sorry but i feel like i have no time to search for related topic to the problem i am having. I feel like my computers about to crash :wacko: :wacko: ... I am at the last stage of removing the MS removal tool and i came to a problem.
I am not given directions on HOW to delete the C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

i am not computer literate but if i am given step by step directions i will complete the task. SO can some one help me with this last step.
thanks

Edited by hamluis, 19 April 2011 - 06:24 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:16 AM

I've read several instructional pages on how to remove MS Removal Tool & nowhere does it say you must delete the hosts file.

We have a dedicated forum for malware problems to ensure you get good advice from experienced helpers.
Please post here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

#3 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:35 AM

Just navigate to the folder in My Computer and delete it? (Go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\ and delete the file named hosts).

@pip22 It's there at step 23.

23. We now need to delete the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS file. Once it is deleted, download the following HOSTS file that corresponds to your version of Windows and save it in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc folder. If the contents of the HOSTS file opens in your browser when you click on a link below then right-click on the appropriate link and select Save Target As..., if in Internet Explorer, or Save Link As.., if in Firefox, to download the file.

Windows XP HOSTS File Download Link
Windows Vista HOSTS File Download Link
Windows 2003 Server HOSTS File Download Link
Windows 2008 Server HOSTS File Download Link
Windows 7 HOSTS File Download Link

Your Windows HOSTS file should now be back to the default one from when Windows was first installed.

Edited by master131, 19 April 2011 - 04:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users