Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update KB2467175 for Visual C++ 2005

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:04 PM

Windows Update tells me that an "Important" update to take is for Visual Studio 2005, called Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2467175). When I use the links in Windows Update to get more information, nothing there tells me why I would need this update.

I have not installed Visual Studio on this machine, and I never do any kind of C++ programming. On the other hand, I find in Control Panel two listings related to "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable", so I do not know what these mean and I do not know what they do nor what the update will do. The information site from Microsoft on this does not give anything useful to help me know if the update is useful, nor why it would be designated as "Important".

Could someone here tell me what I need to know?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alanaanacki

alanaanacki

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:44 AM

Do not install this update. You will be sorry.

#3 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:27 AM

Do not install this update. You will be sorry.

Is there a reason for this?

It doesn't matter if you don't code in C++. VC++ 2005 Redistributable is required to run aplications created in VC++ 2005 and the update is a security patch to help prevent your computer from being exploited.

This security update resolves a publicly disclosed vulnerability in certain applications built using the Microsoft Foundation Class (MFC) Library. The vulnerability could allow remote code execution if a user opens a legitimate file associated with such an affected application, and the file is located in the same network folder as a specially crafted library file. For an attack to be successful, a user must visit an untrusted remote file system location or WebDAV share and open a document from this location that is then loaded by the affected application.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS11-025.mspx

Edited by master131, 19 April 2011 - 04:31 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

Various programs use Visual C programming language...including MS Office...which may account for the fact that it is installed on your system.

Some Programs Using Visual C

Louis

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

I took the update a few minutes ago. Still I don't really understand its meaning, but I took the update (at least on the new machine, the one which I use here).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users