Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Access Connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:00 PM

Hello guys... :thumbup2:

I been attempting to connect to several computers both on my network and outside on internet.

Mainly I been trying to connect xp to xp operating systems. I make sure that both computers have the option for me to use them remotely (control and to be controlled), however when I type the i.p address I get error message...

I have read many tutorials and have gone to Microsoft page however I can't seem to figure it out.

When I type the ip address do I type the user name as well? :blink:

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:48 AM

No, just the IP address.

Tutorial on networking two or more computers for file sharing is here: http://www.intel.com/learn/practical-advice/wireless/share-files-between-computers

Edited by pip22, 19 April 2011 - 04:49 AM.

#3 Sector17

Sector17

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:04 AM

If you are talking about Remote Desktop Connection,

1) On the host, Right-click My Comptuer--> Properties-->Remote Tab-->Check the box "Allow users to connect remotely to the computer"
2) On the host, Start->Run->type "firewall.cpl" with no quotes, hit <enter>-->Make sure "Remote Desktop" is checked under the Exceptions tab
3) On the host, Start->Run->paste the following line in and hit <enter>: cmd /c ipconfig&pause
4) Make a note of your IP address!
5) On the client, Start->Run->type "mstsc" with no quotes, hit <enter>
6) Enter the IP address from #4 next to "Computer" and connect. Then enter user and password. Note: the user MUST have a password ... if no password it will fail.
7) If you are put this on the Internet, you'll have to forward the port from the router. (See http://www.portforward.com) I'd consider changing the remote desktop connection listening port as well, and if you do that, don't forget to add a port exception in the firewall.

Cheers,

Sector17

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users