Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Core unlocker?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hey guys,

While recently setting up my new AMD build, I read a section in the mobo manual referring to a feature called "core unlocker".

I brushed it aside at the time thinking it didn't apply to me, but after giving it more thought, I am wondering if it is feasible to use this feature with my mobo and CPU.

According to this article: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2490

The Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition uses the 'Callisto' core architecture, which is nothing more than a code name for the quad-core "Deneb" design with two cores disabled.

Hmm... :busy:

There was also a recent ZDNet blog post: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/new-asus-motherboard-tries-to-unlock-hidden-cores-on-amd-processors/1711
talking about this new feature. They mentioned that "AMD does not officially support this feature".

Googling "core unlocker" brought me to another article: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Feature/171711,asus-m4a89gtd-pro-core-unlocker-actually-works.aspx
where the author successfully enabled 1 extra core (for a total of 3).

I've just gotten started with building my own computers, so I don't know much about these kind of tweaks or stuff like overclocking.

I'm curious to know if you guys think it is worth the trouble (and/or possible risk?) to try to unlock the extra cores in my processor.

Thanks,
kN
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:29 PM

Man if only I could have a processor with 2 hidden cores! But then again I don't have the money to buy a nice processor like that. But I would totally try it but then again that is me, I sometimes try things that even a completely IN-sane person wouldn't do to their computer just to test it. As well as overclock it if you have the right PSU and heat-sync and a mobo that supports overclocking. I find that as long as I thoroughly research what I am doing before I do it then most of the time I have no issues. I also find it helpful to lookup any issues that other people may have reported about it before hand too just to weigh in the advantages and the disadvantages of what you are about to do and know the common issues before you get into them for yourself. That's just my thoughts on it. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the input, computerxpds. :)

#4 LateNightLife

LateNightLife

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

Friend of mine had a Phenom II X2 and successfully overclocked his to use all 4 cores using an Asus board. He did a burn-in test for over a day to check it's stability, and all cores worked fine. Not saying that's the average experience, but if I had that processor and motherboard it'd be something to try out.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:35 PM

You are welcome as always kN. :ph34r: :ph34r: LOL
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

Friend of mine had a Phenom II X2 and successfully overclocked his to use all 4 cores using an Asus board. He did a burn-in test for over a day to check it's stability, and all cores worked fine. Not saying that's the average experience, but if I had that processor and motherboard it'd be something to try out.

Yeah, I'm curious to see if it will work on mine...

From what I've read, some of the processors have cores that actually are faulty instead of just manually disabled.

You are welcome as always kN. :ph34r: :ph34r: LOL

lol.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

Wow, that was easier than I thought it would be. :)

Just hit the 4 key on POST, then...

Posted Image

And...

Posted Image

Awesome! :thumbsup:

Here's what Speccy showed before: http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7969/beforehp.png

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:37 PM

Well, it's working fine so far, but I just noticed Speccy doesn't report the temperature anymore. :o

SpeedFan does, however:

Posted Image

Whether they're right or not, who knows?

But why should I care? I have a quad-core now! :thumbsup:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 18 April 2011 - 06:37 PM.

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

Wow why don't they just have it like that to begin with?? I cannot believe it was that simple.. So With that 4GB of ram I would assume that you are running a 64 bit version of windows 7? I like that setup (yes it really took me this long to ACTUALLY look at the entire setup that you linked to) :whistle: except for the AMD cause I really like intel for some reason (don't ask I don't know why either lol). Also I would go with 8GB of ram since that is what I already have.

Edited by computerxpds, 18 April 2011 - 06:59 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

From the comments on the ZDNet blog post:
"Many companies do this sort of thing: IBM has done it with their servers, Caterpillar (diesel engines) where the product is capable of more but it is deliberately held back to ship at a cheaper price. This way the company holds down costs. I knew a trucker who needed extra power and for a price was able to upgrade his existing caterpillar engine to get significantly more horsepower. This is done in the pacemaker industry where the same platform is deliberately de-featured so that it can sell for less. In some cases the locked away features can be re-enabled for a price. In other cases it is permanently de-featured during manufacturing."

So With that 4GB of ram I would assume that you are running a 64 bit version of windows 7?

Yeppers. :)
(free from my university through MSDN-AA, btw)

I like that setup except for the AMD cause I really like intel for some reason

Do you like the exorbitant prices Intel charges? lol. I stuck with Intel for a long time, but when it came to price vs. performance on this build, I decided AMD was the better choice.

And I may add another 4GB of RAM in the future, but for now I'm good.

P.S. I can definitely tell the boot time is faster now that the extra cores are unlocked (maybe 1/3 faster?). Opening programs seems marginally faster, but I probably wouldn't have noticed any difference if I didn't know it had 4 cores now.

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:17 PM

Feel free to download the mobo manual and have a look: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=24&m=M4A87TD+EVO&os=&hashedid=YATvwCy0OZLGNWwp

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

"(free from my university through MSDN-AA, btw)"
OMG I love MSDN my friend has it and gives me ISO's for certain programs when I need them lol which is awesome. But yeah that idea with cat engines seems about right especially because my dad works on them they are the worst though because their computer systems are so locked down they have to be sent to cat to be fixed which is a pain. But anywho yeah you wont notice any performance improvement on opening programs but you will if you use any programs such as games that have multi threading support. I do pretty well with my setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dChIbDUXuEyUmV7b4qID80a
sigcomp.png 

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

Nice. :thumbup2:

Re-ran my Windows Experience Index, and the processor rating jumped from 6.6 to 7.3! :woot:

Graphics still keeps me at a 4.2 overall, though. <_<

Anyway....

Having thoughts of overclocking now. :whistle:

#14 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

lol my rating is at 2.0 for the graphics yet I can still play crysis and crysis 2... lol
sigcomp.png 

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

How quaint. :P

Even my mini-server has a 3.1 under Gaming Graphics. :lol:

Btw, I should mention the 4.2 is the "Desktop performance for Windows Aero" on my AMD build. Gaming Graphics is 6.0 :)

Edited by keyboardNinja, 18 April 2011 - 07:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users