Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Update Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 redheadedstepson

redheadedstepson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Hello, I am having a frustrating time with my computer. I am not able to update windows. Even if I manually go to windows update it appears that I have downloades the updates needed but then when it askes me to restart it takes a really long time. Then when I finally get restarted I get a message like this, " updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes. Also I have noticed that after the comnputer starts I see files in a line flashing in the same place across my screen. Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hi :welcome: to Bleepingcomputer!

When you say: "I see files in a line flashing in the same place across my screen" Can you maybe take a pic of it? List some of the updates that you are trying to install if possible. :) Also do you have service pack 2 installed?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 redheadedstepson

redheadedstepson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

Hello TechKid, I have had vista on auto update for many months, still is. I have only had this problem for about a week. The message says that I have 15 important updates that need to be downloaded. I assume that I have SP2 loaded, not sure. Also not able to load ie9.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hi again,

Please click start then RIGHT click on Computer then click properties then see if server pack 2 AKA SP2 is listed.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 redheadedstepson

redheadedstepson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

Thanks, Yes it says windows vista Home premium Service pack 2

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

Hello,

Please see this article, follow the directions on how to run the fix-it utility to reset windows update then come back here and report whether or not that fixed your problem. Link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Edited by computerxpds, 18 April 2011 - 05:10 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#7 redheadedstepson

redheadedstepson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

Ok here is the best account I have for what is happening. I did go to the link and try to fix the updater. followed all instructions and no change that I can see.
Here is what happens:
push start buttonb and click on power button that is red with a yellow exclamation mark on it.
Screen then says: Please do not power off or unplug your machine, installing updates 1 of 14, this changes to 2 of 14 all the way up to 14 of 14.
Screen says: Shutting Down
Screen goes blank, computer off does not restart on own
Push computer power button machine starts up Black screen curser top left blinking, then gateway logo, then microsift computer status bar, then black screen, then cursor in top left again blinking faster, then in single line top left several files flash numbers and names for instance it ends on
"33/17564 (ieproxy.dll)"
Then I get blue vista screen and message "configuring updates stage 1 of 3 0% complete. this goes through 3 of 3 but does not change 0% complete.
Next I get a screen that says " updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes"
Then a regular sign in screen. I enter my password and I get my desktop.
This takes around 20 mins in all. any ideas?

#8 redheadedstepson

redheadedstepson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:01 PM

Somebody must have an idea.............Please help

#9 xnl

xnl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

Can't offer any help. But can say "me too". I get the exact same problem.

In my case, Vista is fully up to date bar one item - so I can tell you that the update that is failing for me is the IE9 download. I have downloaded that update manually and installed it, but that didn't work; I have allowed Windows Vista to install it as an update and get these exact symptoms.

As you'd expect, when I browse the web it is still IE8 that starts.

#10 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

Hi Guys,

Do review the following links in the order shown:

1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

2. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic340134.html

3. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasetup/thread/82de2c02-0ccd-447a-a5c5-e97d66a31bfb
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users