Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with Workgroup computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

Ok history first...

2 x Toshiba laptops

Both running Windows XP and McAfee security suite.

Problem.

One laptop can fire up My Network Places > View Workgroup Computers > *other Toshiba name* access all files ok :thumbsup:

2nd laptop can fire up My Network Places > View Workgroup Computers > *other Toshiba name* Path not found etc. :thumbdown:

I have tried everything I can think of. File network sharing checked. IP addresses range set. TCP/IP protocol set. Tried connecting with the Firewall off.

To reiterate, both computers show icons in show workgroup computer in My Network Places of each other but only one can find a path when cliked........any help appreciated :cool:

Edited by doresy, 18 April 2011 - 04:45 PM.

Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

Please Try the steps listed in the second post here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-networking/network-path-could-not-be-found/52b91b23-0e58-407c-b0bd-f45137e8c451

Edited by computerxpds, 18 April 2011 - 04:48 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

Yes I saw that post and tried what I could understand......I have just run the Fix It For Me and now when I clik View Workgroup Computers it says no path etc so no icons now <_<

#4 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

I have just tried to ping the other laptop.....failed. Ping my own and it's ok :o

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:14 PM

The protocols are the same on both computers?

I don't care much about the path you stated...it's only necessary to go that when attempting to add to Network Places.

What about Network Places...is each system properly reflected on the other?

Can you access/share files on each system?

You might try installing NETBIOS on each system...I had to do that with two systems I formerly had running XP.

Louis

#6 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

Hi, the protocols are exactly the same on both laptops.

What I cannot understand is that I can see, share and alter files from my laptop on my wife's laptop but I cannot do any from the other directions (I used too be able) Both computers have the same settings and as far as I know no settings have been changed. Sharing of all files have been checked.

What do you mean by "I don't care much about the path you stated" ? What it means is when, on my wife's pc, I click My Network Places then choosing View Workgroup Computers then choosing my pc icon it connects and all can be viewed.

When I do the same on mine to view hers I get no path accessible etc.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:02 AM

If you are unable to Ping her laptop then there is a network problem not a windows problem. From my understanding you can access files on your laptop from her computer and you can ping from her computer to yours. However you can not access files on her computer and you can not ping her computers IP address from your laptop? Are you able to access the internet? Can you ping the router from your PC? There could be something in the router blocking your laptop. What make and model Router are you using? Did you set up any port or Mac address filtering? Are you connecting via Wireless? If so then are you able to ping your Wife's laptop while connected to the router via Ethernet? Any other networking hardware I may be missing like another Switch or Hub between your computer and your wife's
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users