Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All sorts of problems...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 moses2218

moses2218

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

My computer has not been "normal" in quite some time. I am under the assumption that I have the "Conficker" worm. 'Though my knowledge of computers only goes barely beyond skin deep. I am aware that some of these problems might not be related, I just want to paint a full picture.... I have Windows XP 32 bit and use Mozilla Firefox.

First off I can't get rid of AVG. I have been unhappy with it for quite some time and have been unable to get rid of it. I understand this is a common problem. I did attempt to delete it from the registry. I am aware that this might have been a mistake....

I can't download anything from Microsoft.com, softpedia, and seemingly random other sites, very often I would have been trying to download something to help rectify the situation. They never work. It directs me to a page resembling as if I didn't have connection to the internet. "Unable to connect"

Internet Explorer has not worked in quite some time, and I can't download it (any version) or uninstall it.

My CD burner will ONLY work using BurnAware... and I've tried numerous. *not sure that's entirely relevant*

Fairly often, I would say at least once a week, I receive a phony prompt from an even phonier program prompting me that my computer is infected. I can't remember the name of it right now, but it has come in more than one form. One of them was something along the lines of "PC Doctor"... but that isn't the one that comes up now. The only way I can find relief from this (for some period of time) is to delete the foreign process, which changes every so often, so that every time it changes I have to spend time looking up processes online to find it.... So I delete the process and run malwarebytes to find it, and it gets rid of it for a little bit. However to even use malwarebytes when this program decides to start running itself, I have to utilize a "file" "enable-executables"... I'm not sure exactly what it is. I only know it has something to do with the registry. I found it online quite some time ago.

I have pop-ups galore... all the time.... No matter what site I am on.

Since of my uneducated opinion of the fact that I have the Conficker Worm, I found a post on this site which described many of my symptoms. The person was instructed to run combofix, to which she later replied fixed her problem, so I attempted to do, taking all precautions warranted, when finally I got stuck. Because I can't get rid of AVG, and combofix gives me a prompt saying that AVG must be uninstalled.

After casually taking all of this upon myself, I now realize that I am in way over my head, and have no clue what to do. I am also aware that I shouldn't have touched the registry or even attempted to use combofix without the proper "go-ahead" or guidance from an expert. I do a lot of things on my computer, and just want it back to normal. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 moses2218

moses2218
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:23 AM

One more thing... This used to happen a lot, but hasn't in quite some time. And just recently began doing it again. When I do a Google search, I can no longer click on the links that Google presents me. When I do I am immediately redirected to a different site... I can copy and past the URL. I just can't click the link directly from my google search page. The website I get redirected to is not always the same, and it appears to redirect a few times before actually deciding to go to a page... Here are some of the pages it takes me too.... The search I used for the first couple examples was "meow".

http://nearlythenews.mevio.com/?utm_campaign=2a316b_570220_251894_113956_301_&utm_source=2a316b&utm_medium=2a316b

http://www.plomedia.com/click.php?query=Do%20Do%20Do&adgroupid=sn-4d9df7ef189d0&source=a61&param1=itcg-19377_3

http://scour.com/search/web/Meow/a10/rs4-4876_19377/v3/

http://www.buddytv.com/home3/glee-home3.aspx

http://www.gossipcenter.com/jessica-sutta/jessica-sutta-bikini-beach-babe-492194?utm_source=mediality&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=jessica%2Bsutta

Since doing this I have discovered that if I continue to click on licks over and over again from the Google page, it will eventually stop doing it for that search word... meaning... I searched "meow" and clicked on four or five links and was redirected to one of the above sites, but then stopped doing that and would act normally. The same thing occurs whatever search term I word. First four or five clicks are redirected, then it works.

Before it goes to one of the above sites (among many others) it does redirect through the same pages, however I don't have time to copy the links, I barely have enough time to read them... The first one it goes through appears to say "www.torahhinge.com......", then redirects to another page which isn't always the same, and then finally brings me to one of the sites listed above (among others).

Update... when redirecting once, it got stuck on the redirect site and I was able to copy the link once while searching for a process I have running and don't know what it is "plugin-container.exe"

http://www.goingonearth.com/search.php?q=plugin-container.exe&n=1303190920

Thanks again.

Edited by moses2218, 19 April 2011 - 12:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users