Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jupiter

jupiter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:30 PM

For some reason, when I start Windows Media Player (V10) the screen that should come up seems to just go off into cyberspace. It doesn't matter if I start it by inserting a CD, clicking on it in the Programs listing or just by clicking on the icon, it does the same thing. It appears on the task bar showing me that it has loaded, but nothing comes up on the screen. If I click to Maximize, the listing on the task bar seems to fly off to the upper right of my screen and still nothing comes up on the screen. I tried reloading it from both the original XP (Home Edition) CD and from the SP2 CD, but no results. I also tried to restore to an earlier restore point and it says nothing has changed and won't do anything. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jupiter

jupiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:43 AM

I ran my Norton Antivirus and AdAware. No viruses detected and eliminated some data miner spyware. Otherwise appears to be clean. Rebooted, and WMP still not working. I wanted to uninstall and reinstall WMP but I ran into problems there. (Incidentally, I had tried just reinstalling over the existing software by downloading WMP 10 from the MS.com site, but that didn't change anything.) My first thought was to delete it in Control Panel>Install/Remove Programs, however, WMP wasn't listed there. I then deleted it from the Programs page (Start>Programs>...). I think all that did was remove a shortcut. Then I tried deleting the folder through Microsoft Explorer and I get a message telling me I can't delete this program because it is being used (when it actually was not - verified through Task Manager). So I tried just moving the folder to another "temporary" location, rebooted, and to my amazement, it had reappeared in the Programs folder again. (Now I have the folder in 2 places and it still doesn't work.) So I guess my next question has to be "How the heck do I uninstall this program?"

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:10 AM

Start / Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs /
On the left, you will see Add/Remove Windows Components.
You can uninstall it from there.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jupiter

jupiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the reply. I had tried that. Didn't work. Tried clicking in the little box to show updates. That made WMP 10 appear. When I tried to remove it, it said it rolled it back to the previous version. I don't think it did but it still didn't fix the problem. Yesterday, I tried getting rid of it in Safe Mode. I ran Norton and AdAware again and the system showed clean. Then I used the uninstall wizard in Norton CleanSweep to uninstall WMP 10 and it actually worked. When I reinstalled it, to my surprise, the main screen apppeared again just like old times. However, when I rebooted into normal mode, guess what. That's right, the same problem resurfaced and I was back to square one. I'm really getting frustrated with this. Oh, by the way, I don't know if it's related, but all the games that come with XP are gone. The Games folder is still there, but it's empty. I don't necessarily need the games, but I do need WMP 10 because I use it to make CD's for my church choir. I'm getting really tired of having to borrow someone else's computer to do my work. Do you think this problem might better be referred to the HiJack This group? Please help if you can.
Thanks for your attention.

#5 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:43 AM

Have you done a spyware scan? (not a virus they are different). You might have spyware and you might not.

If you HAVE NOT done one you can download one such as Spybot - Search and Destroy or Ad-Aware.

If it does detect you can remove them but if the problem contiunes you should try HiJack This

WARNING: Do not try and fix the Hijack This log without profressional help!!! IF you would like help in what to remove you can post your log in Hijack This

Edited by frankie12, 08 January 2006 - 11:43 AM.

#6 jupiter

jupiter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have run AdAware several times and only detected data miners, which were subsequently eliminated, although they seem to reappear. I tried to load SpyBot but, after installing, when I try to run updates it won't update everything listed and so it won't run. I tried reinstalling several times, but always the same result. I have installed HiJack This now. My scan results are listed below.

Mod edit: Log edited out to prevent unauthorized and/or inadequate help and confusion. The log is posted here and this thread can be continued once the malware problems are cleared:--PK
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...86&#entry223686

I am posting this in the HiJack This Discussion Topic area also. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users