Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help setting up a network.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

I have a basement that is being renovated to suit a good network.

There will be two rooms containing ten computers and two printers in each. I have two netgear switches with 16 ports each.

Do I connect all ten computer/2 printers to each switch?

Assuming I did that, I now have two switches containing 10 computers and 2 printers each.

After that, would I connect both those switches to a router which connects to a modem?

How would a patch panel or server come into play, assuming I wanted to use them?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

Just plug in one switch into the router and the other switch plug into the switch that's pluged into the router.

For patch panels, you can have a 2 patch panels before each switch that connects the computers & printers to and from a patch panel to another patch panel to the switch. Make sure to label the incoming & outgoing cables, not the small cables that connect the patch panels to each other and the patch panels.

NOTE: Normally patch panels are used in medium to large scale business to keep organized and disconnect ports if no one is suppose to use them if not occupied.

For the server, put it on the switch that's connected to the router directly or another port on the router and assign the server an static ip.
The server (assuming windows server & depending on what version) can be used to manage all 20 pcs and 4 printers with Active Directory, WSUS, Printer Services, etc.
Pretty much, a server will be central point of management of the entire network depending on what jobs it will be assigned.

Plus the server with active directory would be less of a hassle than peer to peer networking.

Edited by Nate15329, 18 April 2011 - 11:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users