Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Right-click "Properties" on desktop doesn't work & Disk Defragmenter cannot start

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 musicfanzz

musicfanzz

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

Hi,

My laptop is currently running on windows XP Home Edition.

I have been facing numerous problems:

1) Right-click "Properties" on Desktop does not work. It doesn't bring up the window for the wallpaper/screensaver.
2) Disk Defragmenter cannot start.
3) Although I have deleted all the documents in the Recycle Bin, the icon on the desktop still shows that there are documents in the folder. When I re-click into the Recycle Bin folder and click "Empty Recycle Bin", the number of documents still remain the same. I cant seem to clear all these unwanted documents at all.

Any solution out there?

Pls help.

Regards,
Tracy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

Are you saying there is no context menu at all when you right-click on the desktop?

Do you get any message when you try to run the defrag app?

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 musicfanzz

musicfanzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply.

This problem had been there for quite some time. I couldnt recall what programs/apps had been added back then.

Is there any way I can check what went wrong?

About the

#4 musicfanzz

musicfanzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:27 AM

Hi Allan,

Sorry for the previous post.

Had clicked "Reply" too fast. Sorry.

About the "Right-click", there's no context menu popup. Just the hourglass for awhile, then it's back to normal, without any popup menu.

When I tried running the Disk Defragmenter, there's just a popup box "Disk Defragmenter could not start".

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

Without knowing what happened between the last time it worked and the first time it didn't, it's difficult to figure out "why" - or even "what".

First, have you done full system scans with BOTH your anti virus utility and with MalwareBytes? If not, please do so now. If everything comes back "clean", I'd suggest a repair installation:

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install:http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#6 musicfanzz

musicfanzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

I had done scanning using AVG anti-virus but it had only captured those cookies, no major virus, trojans or spyware.

As for the MalwareBytes, I had tried to run it once but it took a long while (more than 6 hrs) and it's not completed scanning and hanged. May I know what's the average time for a Quick Scan to complete? Before the program hanged, I saw that there were 2 errors found - "Fake Update" trojan which affected the Registry Keys.

I had since deleted these 2 trojans.

Tonight, I'm gonna try re-running the MalwareBytes again and hopefully it will complete successfully.

I had run OTL previously (before I ran the MalwareByte), would it help in your analysis?

When I bought this laptop, it did not come with an installation CD as the laptop already comes with it being installed as the OS. If I do need to perform a repair install, is there any other way besides having the XP installation CD?

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

The fact that MalwareBytes hangs is not a good sign - nor is the fact that it found a couple of trojans. I suggest you post in the Am I Infected Forum.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hello,

It appears that the topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic390777.html concerns the same computer as this topic.

Therefore, to avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users