Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Upgrade Questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:38 AM

Okay, I have this really old Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop that I'd like to upgrade a bit for my daughter's use. The system can be seen HERE.

We don't have to go really crazy with this, but the 64MB video ram just isn't cutting it for the few games she likes to play, nor does the RAM, really. I'd like to upgrade her to 2GB of RAM, and at least 128MB of video RAM, 256 if it's possible.

I've never done any real wokr inside of a laptop before, so I'm looking for some help with this little upgrade. I'm not worried about doing the installation, I can find the how-to online, I'm sure. I'm more concerned with making sure that I get something compatible with the computer itself.

This is for an eleven-year-old, so we don't need anything extremely powerful - just some good functionality.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 18 April 2011 - 07:39 AM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:59 AM

This will get the specs of your computer.
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

You can not upgrade the graphics.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

There are not a lot of upgradeable components...in a laptop.

Louis

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

Crucial says that the system can take a max of 2 gigs ram with a max of 1 gig in each slot. It would run you about 100 bucks to max it out.
THen you could possibly go into the system BIOS and allocate more system memory to video. Check in the BIOS first though to see how much the video ram maxes out at.

Other than that, the only thing that can be upgraded is the hard drive. You have a 60 gig IDE drive.
Unlike tower systems, everything on a laptop is integrated onto the motherboard so there really isnt much else you can do.

Edited by Eyesee, 18 April 2011 - 05:26 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

Depending on what you wanted to do on it, if you only want it for web surfing and watching youtube videos then I would try a linux distro... Plus it is a heck of a lot harder to mess it up in the sense of getting a virus or accidentally corrupting it.

Edited by computerxpds, 18 April 2011 - 05:33 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

I don't think her 11 year old would know how to use Linux Distro.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

Yeah but it was just an idea.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

LOL - No, she wouldn't be able to use Linux. Kinda sucks that you can't upgrade the video, but oh well.

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. Much appreciated. I fear that it's time for a new laptop in the house...

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

If you are buying a new laptop make sure that YOU get it! LOL

Check the system BIOS to see how much memory is allocated to the onboard video.
You may be able to increase it but it will decrease the memory available to Windows so its kind of a trade off.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users