Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What could be wrong with my laptop?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scorpia13

scorpia13

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:50 AM

I have a Toshiba laptop and I've been having a problem with it lately. It will start heating up (overheating, I think) and making a lot of noise. A bit like running heaps of processes at the same time. I don't. I use the computer as I would normally. I checked the task manager and there seems to be nothing of concern there. (everything is normal and all the normal programs are running), except that my cpu is unusually high. Goes from anywhere between 10 - 80, when usually its about 1 - 15. There's nothing I'm using that could cause that. I got rid of the side bar and the only thing running is the internet.
The laptop turned itself off completely a couple of times with a little squeaky noise and a burning smell, so I'm guessing it had an overload.
I have 4 lights where my laptop built-in mouse is and the one that looks like a cylinder won't stop flashing. (another bad sign, I'm guessing). So what could be causing this problem and how can I stop it from completely crashing my computer.
Also, I've just cleaned out my fan, so I can't blame it and its not the antivirus either, because I've had that for 3 years now and it's never caused problems.

Edited by scorpia13, 18 April 2011 - 02:51 AM.

The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

A burning smell requires investigation of the laptops internals. It's pointless trying anything else until that's been put right.
Putting it right may not even be possible unless parts are available, you'll need to have it looked at by a repair shop unless you
are experienced in dealing with laptop assembly and what all the various components are.

Burning smell = component damage, that's for sure.

Edited by pip22, 18 April 2011 - 10:17 AM.

#3 NicciAdonai

NicciAdonai

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

You probably don't want to be running it too awful much without getting it checked by a professional. If you are dead set on doing so, I would first back up data by taking the drive out, plugging it into a desktop, and copying your important files to another hard drive.

1. Cleaning the fan may not mean the heatsink was cleaned as well. Cleaning a CPU heatsink thoroughly may mean disassembling the laptop.

2. Sounds like you may have HDD problems. If you follow my first advice then while you have it plugged into the desktop go ahead and check the drive for errors. If you still have it in the Toshiba, you might download and install Acronis Drive Monitor, and check the temperature of the drive first, then check it for errors if the temp looks fine.

If you need further instructions on any of the above just say so. I am heading out of state for my own wedding in a little over a day but someone else should get back to you with full instructions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users