Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VM SBS 2008, local storage setup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 turitopa

turitopa

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

OK,

I have Xenserver 5.5 running on Dell PE2950 as the host OS.

Local storage is 1TB Mirror array (hardware array done by PE2950 bios)
I have created 1 Vhd 500GB (in SBS created 2 partitions system and data). I have installed Sbs 2008 onto this Vhd. 10GB RAM, assigned 2 CPU's.
I also have 15 GB vhd with Endian Firewall, 1GB RAm, 1 CPU.

MS recommends having OS, Page-file, Exchange on separate physical Hdd's.

Please advise options that I can use to seperate the above into seperate physical partions for best performance in VM SBS 2008.

I could either go with adding more physical internal HDD's (SATA or SAS), or external single HDD's. or external Storage device, Or setup of SAN within Xenserver from a NAS device.

Could someone please highlight which of the above would be best, ie best performance wise, manageability and reliability.
I was thinking of getting Internals, but am open to what others think.

I also have a second Xenserver in a remote location connected via fibre-optics line. At the moment no SAN setup. On the second xenserver I plan on installing windows 2008 member server to replicate AD and Share drives.

Currently AD, exchange, Sharepoint, DNS, exchange all running on the 500GB VHD mentioned above.
Endian is handlingly, external DNS, DHCP, proxy server, mail and internet security.

I currently have around 35 users, mainly using File-shares, Email. (from my SBS 2008 VM)
We have a third party Accounting package which see's most of our network activity, this is on separate hardware.

Edited by turitopa, 17 April 2011 - 10:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 turitopa

turitopa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:11 PM

4.1.3. Shared iSCSI SANs

In addition to NFS, XenServer provides support for shared SRs on iSCSI LUNs, using the open-iSCSI software iSCSI initiator. Shared iSCSI support is implemented based on the Linux Volume Manager (LVM) and provides the same performance benefits that were provided by LVM in the local disk case. iSCSI-based SRs enable VM agility -- VMs may be started on any host in a pool and migrated between them. However, iSCSI-based VDIs do not provide support for sparse provisioning or fast cloning.

from http://docs.vmd.citrix.com/XenServer/4.0.1/reference/ch04.html

Has anyone got a production environment with Xenserver as Virtual Host, and any production VM servers??
Please advise your setup???

also read this, looks like NFS is slightly better...then Iscsi. http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/print/106944-iscsi-vs-nfs

anyone, want to add anything...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users