Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Always Re-booting For Home Connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

I have a netgear WGT624V3 router connected to my Vista home premium 64BIT pc. (through a westell modem)

I am using the netgear WG111V2 adapter on my Windows7 64BIT home premium pc.

The drivers are up to date.

Here is what is happening: I have to turn off my dsl verizon westell 6100 modem .. turn off the router and pc.

I power on the modem, power on the router then the pc.
(I allow each to power up before turning on the others)

This allows the pc with the adapter to connect to the internet.

The problem is: Once the pc with the adapter is shut down or goes into sleep mode .. I have to go through all the power off routines with the 'host' computer again before the other pc can get an internet connection!?

The pc with the adapter looks like it is looking for a connection and says "no internet access" and shows a local connection only?

Any ideas would be Greatly appreciated.

(Thinking about getting a new linksys router and adapter if I can't get these working again)

To be clearer (I hope) .. The pc with the adapter can't 'see' the host pc without re-booting the 'host' pc and everything connected to it.

Edited by MrClose, 17 April 2011 - 10:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 corneto_20

corneto_20

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:54 AM

Hi MrClose

I may suggest to please do not set your main computer that has the modem in "sleep mode" or "hibernate" or "turn off hardisk". Though you can set your monitor to be off. When the computer is in that mode, almost of the programs running in your system are off or disabled. That may have caused the modem to be restarted again so that it will have the programs it is using to start working again. You also restart the computer so that the program will recognized your modem.
You may put those other computers to be in sleep mode but not the main computer that has the modem.

Hope this will help.

corneto_20

Edited by corneto_20, 18 April 2011 - 01:01 AM.

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:21 PM

It is the router and not the host pc that broadcast the signal to the other pc's adapter.

Regardless .. The host computer can be up and running full strength and the pc with the adapter will lose it's connection.

#4 corneto_20

corneto_20

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

Though you said this one >> "Once the pc with the adapter is shut down or goes into sleep mode .. " >> Then with your next reply you said this one "Regardless .. The host computer can be up and running full strength and the pc with the adapter will lose it's connection. " You mean the connection just disconnect either before or after your computer goes to sleep mode"?

Edited by corneto_20, 18 April 2011 - 09:15 PM.

#5 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:36 AM

Let me try this again.

I am having problems with the computer that is on the adapter.

I can have a connection on that pc but if it is allowed to go into standby or is turned off .. I can no longer establish a connection .. "unless" I go to the "host" computer and power the modem, router and computer off and then back on.

Once I do this routine .. the computer with the adapter must be re-started and Then it will get a connection.

A Vicious Cycle!

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:42 AM

For some reason the host computer is not remembering your network. When you installed the adapter did you use the software provided or did you just plug in the adapter? If you used the software (you should have) did you allow it to turn off windows wireless configuration (allowing the Netgear software to configure the adapter)? If you did allow the software to make the change (by saying YES during the install) you should see the WG111 icon in the system tray. Next you will need to verify your settings. First make sure you are not setting up an Ad-hoc network connection. Second make sure the wireless adapter is able to find your network by its SSID by default SSID broadcast is set to ON on your router and the adapter should be able to see your network (unless you changed this for security purposes, a good practice by the way) If your SSID is not broadcast you will need to manually enter it. Once your network is located click apply to activate the connection. If you are using WEP or WPA encryption you will need to enter the encryption key manually or use the pas-phrase you set up on your router. Next you want to save the information by creating a Profile and saving the settings. If you have done all of the above and the computer still drops the connection upon waking/rebooting. Check and see if you can ping the router. Open the command prompt (by going to run in the start menu and typing command) then type PING 192.168.1.1 (the default address of the router, unless you have changed it then PING and whatever the ip address is) if you get a response then the connection to the router is good and the router is preventing you from accessing the internet. Lastly try and ping the other computer on the network. To find out its IP address go to the command prompt on the computer (this would be the vista PC) and type ipconfig /all at the prompt this will list all of the network connections on the PC. You are looking for the Ethernet connection unless you are connected through wireless in which case it would be the wireless adapter. You want the IPV4 Address it will be similar to 192.168.1.something. Write down the address and try to ping the Vista computer from the Windows 7 computer. If the router is not blocking the wireless you should be able to ping the other Pc. Please respond back with the results. If this doesn't work we will try statically assigning an IP address to the Windows 7 computer.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 April 2011 - 12:44 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

Thank You for your help.

Everything on the windows 7 (adapter pc) seems to be okay.

It sees the netgear router but will not connect.

I pinged this host pc from the adapter pc and 4 packets were sent but 0 were returned.

Here is a confusing thing.

I uninstalled the netgear software (adapter) on the pc .. put in the netgear cd and what confuses me is .. As it is installing the software it says "Installing your VISTA netgear software"? (The pc is windows 7 64 BIT!)

Why in the world would a cd say that?

I am going to try something here.

I ran a ping on This (Vista pc) and took a snapshot of the ping.

This is the host pc so maybe you can 'see' what is going on from the info?

Again .. Thank You.

http://www.galleryhosted.com/6NFFD881CKHAV0C/001_6NFFD881CKHAV0C.jpg

Edited by MrClose, 21 April 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

That's a screen shot of Ipconfig /all not ping.

A ping will look like this
Posted Image

When the connection goes down on the Windows 7 machine you want to try and ping 10.0.0.1 (the Router) and if that is successful try and ping the Vista PC at 10.0.0.3. Let me know what happens.

Your adapter originally came with windows Vista drivers you want to download the latest Drivers from here. This may solve the problem completely

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 April 2011 - 09:03 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

I have downloaded the windows 7 netgear adapter software to this pc.

I am going to have to load the setup software to a usb memory stick (to transfer to the other pc) which I wont have until tomorrow.

I think that you may be correct and that putting the 'right' software on the pc will fix things.

I will let you know as soon as I get it set up and .. Thank You .. Again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users