Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezes After Desktop Loads, Even In Safe Mode, Norton Problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 julie_emm

julie_emm

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:26 PM

Hi. This is my first post. Excited to be here. I've been having a problem for the last two days with my HP laptop running Windows XP. It started when I got a message from the Norton software saying spyware had been detected. I ran a complete Norton scan, it found the spyware virus, and removed it. After this, I rebooted, and everything looked okay. I was able to log in, all the desktop icons showed up. However, none of the icons along the bottom in the task bar showed up, and when I moved my cursor down there it turned into the hour glass, and nothing responded when I clicked on it. I let it go for about 45 minutes, and still got the hour glass, and still no response. I tried re-booting several times and had the same thing happen. Then I tried booting in Safe Mode and STILL had the same problem.

It's frustrating because I can't access anything. The only thing that works is the Task Manager. I could list the processes that are running if someone thinks that might help. Also, when I reboot I get a message which says "Ending Program ccApp.exe" which I know is a Norton file.

I'm not sure what to do. Any advice? Thank you so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:25 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, julie_emm:

Try to run System Restore from the command prompt. Use a restore point just prior to when the problem appeared.

The following steps came from http://bertk.mvps.org/

How do I Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt?

1.) Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2.) Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3.) Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4.) Follow the instructions to restore your computer to an earlier state, or undo the last restore if available.

For more information on System Restore, please see this Bleeping Computer tutorial.

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Let us know if that helped.

Edited by Joshuacat, 31 December 2005 - 01:26 PM.

JC

#3 julie_emm

julie_emm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 01:57 PM

Hi. Thank you so much for the reply. This is really helpful. Somehow, after rebooting a bunch of times last night and playing with it, I was able to access windows. Performing the System Restore was indeed exactly what it needed, and that took care of the problem. Thank you for the information about how to access System Restore from the command prompt. i never knew that before, and that is really useful to know. I am saving this info for future reference. Thanks again!

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:53 PM

I am glad XP is back up and running again. Feel free to post again if you have any other problems.

Thanks.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users