Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infinite Restart Loop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hydrat

Hydrat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

So, basically, I began having some trouble with my computer freezing. I'd reboot, and all would be well - until one day when it just would not fully boot.

The splash screen shows up for the brand, as does the windows splash screen, before directing me to boot options.
No matter which option is selected (I've tried all of them. A lot) the computer repeats the process of directing me to boot options.

It also gives me an error indicating that windows has prevented the computer from starting to "prevent damage" (the screen passes VERY quickly, so I cannot quite catch the whole lot).

I attempted to run an Linux live disc, and received mounting errors while it attempted to write to the RAM. I assumed this meant the RAM was out (it made sense) and replaced the RAM. I then, boldly, tried both the Linux disc and regular start up again. I received the same infinite reboot and mounting errors as before.

I do not know, at this point, whether I'm dealing with some sort of virus, or a genuinely soul-crushing hardware issue. The files on the computer are work-related, and the inability to access them is driving my employer , er... a bit batty.

Specs: HP Pavilion a720n (yeah, I know, but it worked perfectly for this long). Factory, except for that new RAM chip, which is a 512mb ram.
Running: Windows XP Home, SP3 (if I'm not mistaken).
I do NOT have any of the original discs which came with the computer, that I know of. Numerous moves and years have separated me from them.

BONUS INFO San Check: Hydrat rolled a 1d6 and received a 6, landing him in Arkham Asylum for the duration of the game.

Edited by Hydrat, 17 April 2011 - 08:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

If it's a work computer...why isn't an IT person involved in taking care of this?

To see the content of the error message, try the following:

1. Press F8 during boot up until the boot options menu comes up.

2. Scroll down to "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press ENTER.

That should stop the screen so that it can be read.

Post the cntent in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users