Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant "program not responding" message

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sjoseph316

sjoseph316

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hello all, I've been around a while and usually I can figure this stuff out myself but this problem has me stumped.
First, my setup
XP pro, SP3 32bit
Athlon 64x2, 2.93 gb ram
Firefox 4.0, eset smart security

Ok the best way to describe what is going on is with an example. Say I'm browsing and want to download a file, like malwarebytes. I click on the download link and the download box comes up but it's white, then firefox freezes, I click the X and I get the "program not responding" error. I end now and FF closes. I re-open FF and it restores my page/pages. I try to dl again and same thing.
FF browses fine, opens new tabs fine and runs fast.
Another example, offline. I have a .rar file to extract. I right click on the file and try and extract it with 7-zip or winrar. The extract box pops up and when I click ok it turns white and freezes. I click on the X and I get "program not responding".
Those are a couple examples, it does it with other proggy's to.
Also, my outlook express won't open. It acts like it's going to then turns all white and yes you guessed it, I hit the X and I get "program not responding".
I have searched for hours to try and solve this one but to no avail. What could be going on??

I have run malwarebytes scans, eset scans etc and it turns up nothing. I haven't installed anything new.

Oh yeah I forgot. I can't open IE either. Even when I try windows update, a white box pops up and "program not responding".

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated, thank you!

******It wont even open FF or IE in regular mode anymore. BUT, in safe mode, which is what I'm in now, everything works perfect. (safemode with networking).

So, it must be a driver or program that is loading at startup that is causing this mess. What do you guys think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:54 AM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming process, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

#3 sjoseph316

sjoseph316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

Allan, thank you for the reply! Ok here is what I have.

Load system services is checked
Load startup items is marked with a green box
Use modified boot.ini is checked

It is running perfect. Outlook running fine, FF & IE running fine, able to download, winrar running fine etc etc.

I'm confused now on what to do. Am I good just leaving it like this? Thank you for any help. I would love to find exactly what the cause it

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process.

#5 sjoseph316

sjoseph316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

Ahhhhhh, so you mean go into the startup programs and add the programs and add them one at a time then reboot to see which one is the culprit?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

There you go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users