Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I permanently disable standby?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

I have an old Gateway Solo 2500 laptop running Windows 98SE. The computer will not resume from standby due to an incompatible video card driver.
Source
The laptop does use a NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD video card, and NeoMagic never released an updated driver that was fully compatible with Windows 98. The driver that is currently installed is a newer version than any download I could find, and the last few versions of the driver mess up the sound. I followed all of the instructions that I could find for disabling standby, and none of them prevent the laptop from entering standby on low battery or by using the keyboard shortcut (Fn+F4). I would like to both disable standby permanently and find a version of the driver that does not cause slow and garbled sound.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

Have you tried any of these?

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:13 PM

The first driver in that list (the one that was supposedly downloaded from Microsoft's Web site) looks promising. I will try it later.

#4 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

I just tried installing this driver, and I received the message "The C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\RARSFX0\SETUP.EXE file expects a newer version of Windows. Upgrade your Windows version." If you look at the link, the file is supposed to be the official Windows 98 driver for this video card.

The driver that is currently installed is listed as version 6.16.02 in Device Manager. Some of the other drivers in that list are newer versions than the one I have, but when I looked several months ago the newest driver I could find was older than the one that is currently installed. I'll try some of those later, possibly tomorrow.

#5 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

I downloaded several drivers from the list above, and they all gave me the same error that I mentioned above. Even the location listed in the error is identical. The installer opens under Windows XP on another computer, but I do not want to let the installer run on that computer. I'll work on it tomorrow.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

How to disable power management or Standby WIndows 98.

98 has an issue with standby and the 3D screen savers as well.
I would disable it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

Standby is already set to Never in the power options, but the Standby hotkey (Fn+F4) still puts the computer in standby. I am going to see if I can extract the files from one of the driver installers in Windows XP and copy them onto this computer. This is a laptop, so disabling power management entirely isn't a good idea, but not using one of the 3D screen savers is a good idea to save power.

#8 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

It turns out that DriverGuide's installer simply downloads the required driver files into a location that you choose, after trying to download a toolbar onto your computer. I don't know why they couldn't just give you the files, but I now have the drivers. It's time to see if any of the drivers I downloaded will install.

#9 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:53 PM

I just installed the version 6.28 driver (the latest I could find), and I can resume from standby now. However, the resume process seems to take a very long time. Is there anything that may cause that? My other computer with Windows 98 only takes a few seconds to resume, and this one took about half a minute. The sound is still messed up as well.

Edited by lti, 18 April 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

Is the other computer running 98 as well?

Is this 98 Second Edition or the original version?

#11 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

This computer has 98 Second Edition and the computer that resumes from standby in a reasonable amount of time is running the original version of Windows 98. I don't know how much of a difference the different editions would make in the resume time, but the other computer had a slower processor and less RAM.

Also, should I make a separate post about the sound problem in the Audio and Video forum?

Edited by lti, 18 April 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#12 JacobHall

JacobHall

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

Why have you not upgraded to another OS, 2000 & XP resolved these problems.

I am sure you can pick up a cheap copy of 2000 now, or even XP. 98 is is very old!

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

This system is a PII. It might run 2000 but it certainly wont run XP

"Also, should I make a separate post about the sound problem in the Audio and Video forum?"
Might not be a bad idea. I know a lot of advisors dont look at the 98 forum much.
Make sure that you specify 98 if you post there.

I am thinking that you might have something running in the background that could be causing this.
Do CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the task list & post what is listed there.

#14 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

It turns out that DriverGuide's installer simply downloads the required driver files into a location that you choose, after trying to download a toolbar onto your computer.

Have you registered with DriverGuide you have to register before you can download any files else you get all the spam downloads?

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#15 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:04 PM

When I last checked, Windows 2000 and XP CDs with valid licenses were over $100. Even if the price has decreased since then, I don't have the money to spend so much on such an old computer. I also have some software that does not run properly under a newer OS, even under Windows 98 compatibility mode.

I also tried running Windows XP SP2 on this computer and it ran fine, but I couldn't activate it and SP3 would be too much for such an old computer. Everyone claimed SP3 would increase performance, but every computer I installed it on became slower.

Here is my task list:
Explorer
Clamtray
Irxfer
Em_exec
Stimon
Irmon
Comsmd
Systray

I really should get rid of Clamwin. I don't need it and it just makes the computer take longer to boot. It doesn't do anything since all the files I open on this computer have been transferred from another computer and this computer will never be connected to the Internet.

Finally, I have not registered with DriverGuide. If I register, will the download link send me the driver files directly instead of having to use their stupid installer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users