Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD ROM Drive only sees some files, not all?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

Using my first computer, I confirmed the integrity of files on a CD-RW (verified they were on the disc amd was able to open them.) But when I popped this very same CD-RW into another computer, that system's CD-ROM was only able to acknowledge the first five or six files. Note the computer had no trouble recognizing the CD-RW in the drive, nor did it fail to see the files on the CD-RW. It simply pretends there's only a half dozen files on the CD-RW when in fact there's only a dozen, irrespective of file format. I noticed it does this with other CD-RW I put in the drive, not just this one.

What do you think the problem is with the second computer's drive? I know CD-RW degrades over time, but this was a new, freshly burned disc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:09 PM

Further info:

System on the second computer runs WinXP Professional Build 3. Faulty CD-ROM is a Samsung. Burning was done on another computer with Nero 7.

#3 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:14 AM

Wow. Two whole weeks and I managed to stump all the experts. Do I win a free laptop?

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:10 AM

I'm probably not much help at all, but, do both computers run XP? Or does one of them run Win7? I've had some issues with compatability between the 2. I don't think it's the drive, but I've been wrong before..
I haven't used Nero in about 15 years, so I can't say anything about it being the problem. Do you have Nero on both computers? Just curious..

Something you could try, if you are trying to transfer files, is copy them onto a flash drive and see if they register on the second computer then. Maybe that will work. :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

Both use XP. Right, buying a flash drive is always an option. But if my drive is failing, I'd like to find out right now before it conks out.

Thanks.

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:21 AM

Well, it could be your drive. Can you try your disk in a friends computer and see if there is a problem? If there isn't, then you might want to get another drive. Keep the reciept just in case it doesn't work either. But since both run WinXP, I guess I would have to vote for a bad or going bad drive. It happens.. :blink:

It took a while to get back because I have not recieved a notice saying there was another post here.. :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

Its only the one cd that you are having problems with right?
Make sure that the data side is clean and scratch free.

I wonder if cleaning the laser lens might help.
Laser lens clening kits are pretty cheap and it might be worth a shot.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

I've tried the CD-RW in two drives, the one I burned it in and the second computer's drive. (Both use Nero, BTW). In the first drive I can see all the files and pull them up. In the second computer drive, only certain files show, and these tend to be the files that were burned first (earliest).

Which makes me wonder if the drive on the second machine does need to be cleaned. Which way does a burner add files to a disc, anyway: inner rim first or outer rim first?

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

It burns inner to outer.

But that probably will not reflect they way they are viewed on the disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users