Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

G+ Connection Failure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:21 PM

Ok this is the reason I have been absent for so long:

About A month ago I decided it was time to re-upgrade to cable internet. We went through A long problem of them not having A cable for our house anymore... blahh blahh blahh, but that doesnt matter. Today we finally got the modem ect, but the problem is that one of my computers doesnt like my router very much.

Before I go into detail:

Both computers have windows xp, and the one working (the o ne i'm on) is sp2 and the other sp1.
Router is A belkin wireless G+ (Model number: F5D7231-4) with an open connection using 128-bit WEP.

Today I called Belkin's tech support and basically it was A 30 min arguement on how what I did is impossible :
I was asking if it was possible to connect the computers to the router with the need to EVER hardwire the modem or router to the computer. They said no. 30 minutes later I hang up upon discovering that it worked on this computer.... all I did was connect the modem to the router and then type in it's ip address, and lastly configured it. For some reason though my other computer would not connect. It recognized the router, and the fact it needed A WEP key code (in which I typed in numerous times) but acts as if it gets no signal from the router. I no there must be some communication though, do to the fact the it never asked for the WEP key until I configured the router for it.

Someone please help me with this. I'm entirely confused.

Edit - 1:52 pm (Eastern time):

I believe that the problem might be that the motherboard is going. I recently had to through out A burner thinking it dead, but now this is happening so it might be more than coincidental. If anyone can prove this thery wrong, or right it would be appreciated.

Edit - 2:16 pm (Eastern time):
I looked under some more settings of the network card and found that the signal strength from the router is "Exelent" but there is still no actual connection.

-Mike

Edited by WlkingMan, 30 December 2005 - 05:18 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:51 PM

if it was possible to connect the computers to the router with the need to EVER hardwire the modem or router to the computer.

I can't follow that at all. Since you have one PC working I assume the connection between the router and the modem is OK.

Is the working PC wired or wireless networked? If wireless what kind of wireless network card does it have?

Ditto for the non-working PC.

To network a wireless PC all the normal networking requirements apply - workgroup, IPaddress and subnet mask, Gateway address - and you also need to enter the SSID and the encryption key. Then you should be good to go.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 t3s

t3s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:13 AM

Both computers are using a Belkin G+ Networking card (Model number f5d7001) and this one is indeed connected wirelessly.

The other computer recieves the routers SSID at exelent signal but it basically wont even try to connect when told to. The router is blocking some unknown ip's but When I disabled it that didn't help. At the same time though this thing has like three of them!

Edited by WlkingMan, 31 December 2005 - 11:14 AM.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 06:53 PM

At the working PC - open a command window start>run type cmd in the black window that opens type ipconfig write down the IP addresses it gives you and post them here.

At the non working PC - open a command window as above, type ping <ipaddress> where you replace <ipaddress> with the addresses you wrote down before. what happens in each case?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 t3s

t3s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:32 PM

(This is in no way intended to be smart in any way)

I have tried this approach many times. It is A 100% loss, but here are the ip's the IpConfig gives anyway.

Ip : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:31 PM

That was the ipconfig output from the working PC?

Did you do "ping 192.168.2.2" and "ping 192.168.2.1" from the non-working PC? Is that what you were saying is 100% loss?

Please post the ipconfig output for the non-working PC.

The other computer recieves the routers SSID at exelent signal

This may be just a language issue but the PCs do not receive the SSID (though you will see the name displayed) - you have to enter that manually along with the WEP encryption key when you configure the wireless NIC on each PC.

#7 t3s

t3s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:37 PM

Yes that was the output for the working pc.

This is the output for the nonworking pc:
Media state . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

and actually the router has the option to "Broadcast SSID" in which the non-working pc found on its own. I did no such typing of the SSID.

P.S.:

I dissabled the WEP encryption to see if that would help so there is no encryption key needed anymore.

Edited by WlkingMan, 03 January 2006 - 08:38 PM.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:53 PM

the router has the option to "Broadcast SSID" in which the non-working pc found on its own. I did no such typing of the SSID.

That's news to me, all the wireless networking devices I have used I've had to manually enter the SSID. But then I haven't done any for a while and I've never used Belkin stuff.

What does Device Manager say about the status of your wireless NIC?

Try removing the Belkin card from device manager, uninstall the software, shutdown & power off the PC and remove the card, power on and install the software again shutdown, power off and install the card in a different slot and power on again.

Searching for your Media disconnected message reveals this MS article which appears to have helped others:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;239924

Also mentioned was Winsockfix - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

- could be worth a try.

(btw When you do get your wireless network functioning I recommend you use WPA-PSK encryption as it is more secure than WEP.)

#9 t3s

t3s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:21 PM

It turned out to be that that slot wasn't working properly.

Thanks alot, I tried reinstalling the drivers before but I didn't think of putting it in another slot (duh). I should be gettting yet another computer next week because i've got A feeling that this one won't be around much longer. Bad ram, and the mother board is going (I would assume).

Once again, thank you so much.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:55 PM

Glad you got it fixed! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users