Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sporadic connection Issues with new computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cougz4Life509

Cougz4Life509

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

Hey I'm have some very annoying connection issues with my new computer. I got a new computer about 3 weeks ago it's an HPE-500z with Windows 7 Premium and build in Wireless Card. I have an old Linksys WRT54GS router and it works swimmingly with all the other computers in the house and my xbox 360. So I stupidly went out and purchased a Netgear N-600 and that made things worse, that thing is complete garbage. It has a whole mess of problems and not to mention connection issues with my xbox 360. The problem is that the connection seems to work then sometimes it drops and stops working then it magically comes back. Along with that the signal strength seems to be sporadic as well. So I decided to update the router's firmware (7.2, I think) and I didn't notice any discernible change. Some help would be much appreciated, I'm starting to get very frustrated. I feeling there is something really simple, and I'm just not paying attention to it.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

Are there other wireless networks in the area? Any new cordless phones? Cb's? All of those will dramatically affect wireless performance. 802.11 bgn operate at the 2.4 ghrz range and is susceptible to interference. Also if there are several other wireless networks in the area try a different channel on your router.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users