Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is slow and strange error messages appear when using email

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 saladbunnie

saladbunnie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

I just need someone to help me figure out how to search for viruses on this imac. I know how to do searches on pc's, but am having trouble understand how the imac is set up and how to see what windows calls "control panel"
Help me out? :lol:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:47 PM

Hello and welcome to bleepingcomputer! :welcome:

Ok I highly doubt that this mac has a virus, second to see if you can correct these errors first you need to tell us what version of os x this computer is running on, to do this please click the apple logo in the top left of the screen then click about this mac then find a number starting with 10 it will look like this: Posted Image then I or another member will continue troubleshooting with you. Side note this may be a disk error, if you can find disk utility then run it and check the hard drive for errors then do a permissions check if it finds errors then repair them with the disk utility.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 saladbunnie

saladbunnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:57 PM

Okay, I am in the menu of System Profiler. I selected Disk Utility. What do I do now?

#4 saladbunnie

saladbunnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

I tried to look into files, but I am not able to. I cannot look at any files I need to:(

#5 saladbunnie

saladbunnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:09 PM

The version is 10.4.11
Startup Disk is Macintosh HD

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

What exactly is happening with your Mac? What error message are you seeing and what were you doing when the error message pops up? Any and all info you can provide will help us help you better, otherwise we'll be guessing your problem.
Twenty steps to help diagnose and fix system issues

#7 corneto_20

corneto_20

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:08 AM

Hi saladbunnie

I maybe wrong but I never heard yet that there are now viruses available and created for Mac. Mac are only vulnerable with regards to security issue. I may suggest you to try to use this link incase you are afraid to navigate your Mac . You can use the link as your guide just like navigating your Mac computer.

http://chasms.com/snow_leopard/desktop.htm
http://chasms.com/leopard/leopard.htm

Hope those links can help.

We strongly suggest to please include also the error message that you are getting when you post a reply.

(smile)
corneto_20

Edited by corneto_20, 18 April 2011 - 12:12 AM.

#8 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

Computer is Slow - only when using the internet? Or when running applications on the Mac?
Strange Error Messages in email - what email client? Mail.app? What error message?
Error messages can be captured by pressing COMMAND + SHIFT + 4 this gives you crosshair cursor to select portions of the screen that will be saved to the Desktop (usually) as Picture 1, Picture 2, etc.
OR you can press SPACEBAR, and the crosshairs change to a camera and you can click on and save any window to the Desktop.
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users