Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting double-teamed by rouge software!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 big_bird

big_bird

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

So last week i foolishly left some torrents running without Peer Block on, and i came home a few hours layer to a computer covered in "Hard disk failure!", "Privacy threat!" and fake scans. at first i freeked out when all the stuff on my desktop and hard drive was "gone", but then i googled the names of the two programs that appeared to be causing all the trouble (Windows Fix Disk & XP Internet Security 2011), and saw that Windows Fix Disk likes to make all your stuff hidden to scare you :P

This website was first on the list of google responses for both of the programs, so i followed the removal guide for both Fix Disk and Security 2011, but was unsuccessful with both :( when i tried to use rkill, i got a ton of errors that said "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item", and i couldn't get tdsskiller to open or run at all. no errors or pop-ups or anything.

the guide said that if the advised steps didn't work, i should post here with the appropriate logs attached. so i got DDS and GMER and ran them on my computer (im writing, researching and downloading suff from my netbook btw) and got the logs, and have attached them to this post.

I also have been getting "Windows - Delayed Write Failed" errors that say "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \\System32\\496A8300. The data host has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware." I really hope this doesn't mean there's permanent damage to my computer, because this message isn't on the list of fake errors created by either of the scareware programs, and it always causes my computer to reboot no matter which choice i click when the error appears (Cancel, Try Again, or Continue).

I really hope i don't have to do a total reset and reinstall on the computer to fix these programs, because it'll be an immense pain in the butt to get all the correct drivers and software that i have installed. I appreciate all the help you guys can give me.

Attached Files

Edited by big_bird, 17 April 2011 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 big_bird

big_bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

unfortunately, after using a KasperskyRrescue USB to scan and clean my computer, i can no longer get it to boot up completely. i can get as far as the screen asking if i want to start Windows normally or in Safe Mode, but no matter what i choose, it just crashes and starts over again... looks like i'll be reformatting after all :'(

this thread can be closed. sorry if i wasted anyone's time.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:45 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users