Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2002 crashes while closing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

When I try to close Word 2002 after printing a document, I get the message "Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close." If I choose to recover my work, Word reopens with a blank document like I had simply clicked on the shortcut (the title bar shows the file name as Document1). This does not happen if I open a file to read it or make changes without printing, but it happens every time after printing. I am thinking that there is an incompatibility between Word and my printer's software. The printer is an HP Deskjet F4580, and I have the bare minimum software install (just the drivers and software needed to use all of the printer's functions). The printer is connected through USB, and the computer is running Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and is fully updated. I would appreciate any assistance with this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 corneto_20

corneto_20

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:51 AM

Hi lti ,

Please try to perform two basic steps below if you don't mind. We will uninstal and reinstall your printer and then use your Microsoft Office CD.

a.1)Uninstall Microsoft Office
XP >>
Please go to start and open Control Panel. Double click ADD/Remove Programs and uninstall the Microsoft Office program.

Vista/Win7 >>

Please go to start and open Control Panel. Double click Programs then under Programs Feature click Uninstall Program and look for the Microsoft program then uninstall it.

Or

a.2)Insert Microsoft Office and run the program then check if that has an option for REPAIR

Please restart the computer to make sure the changes that was done will take effect fully.

b.) Printer

Insert the CD driver of your Printer

XP >>
Please click START button then click RUN. Type "devmgmt.msc" and press Enter key on your keyboard.
Click the + to the left of Ports and right click Printer then click Properties click Driver tab then Uninstall driver
Right click Ports/Printer then click Properties click Driver tab then click Install/Update Driver
Follow the wizard and locate the CD drive to install the driver

Vista/Wn7 >>
Please click START then click CONTROL PANEL. Click Hardware and Sound then double click DEVICE MANAGER.
Click the + to the left of Ports and right click Printer then click Properties click Driver tab then Uninstall driver
Right click Ports/Printer then click Properties click Driver tab then click Install/Update Driver
Follow the wizard and locate the CD drive to install the driver

Then make a series of test. Check other document programs if they are doing the same...

Corneto_20

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:08 PM

I really don't want to perform a full uninstall and reinstall of Office, but I will try the repair option first. The printer software installed lots of programs that I will never use, so I will remove those first. Hopefully one of these is messing with the print operation. I don't want to reinstall the printer driver because it requires you to run the full software installation process before you can connect the printer. I would highly doubt that the drivers themselves can be installed directly from the CD, and the installer tries to install tons of spyware and adware.

If the repair and cleanup do not solve this problem, I will perform a full reinstall of both Office and the printer software.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

Before you go through all that try this hotfix
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822865
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

The repair install of Office seems to have fixed this problem. Thanks for your help.

#6 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

Before you go through all that try this hotfix
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822865

I didn't see that post when I made my last reply. I checked my Office version and it appears that I have Office XP SP3, which fixed those problems. The problem I encountered did not occur until I had to replace my printer, so it appears that the printer software somehow damaged Microsoft Word.

#7 corneto_20

corneto_20

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

Great to kno that Iti, I am happy that I was able to give a help.

Best regards,
Corneto_20

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users