Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer runs slower after processor upgrade

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

I have a Compaq Presario 2286 that I have been using to run older programs and games that require Windows 95 or 98.
Specifications

Since the computer was purchased, I upgraded the RAM to the maximum 256MB, installed a larger hard drive, and replaced the CD-ROM drive as the original failed. Recently, I upgraded the CPU from the original 250MHz Cyrix MII (the 333MHz listed above is its performance rating) to an AMD K6-2 running at 500MHz, expecting a performance increase. However, almost all programs now run slower than they did before, and they keep getting slower every day. I tried to reinstall the old CPU, but the computer became so slow that no programs would run properly. I immediately reinstalled the "new" CPU and have lived with its poor performance.

Recently, I noticed that the computer has become painfully slow. If I try to open the start menu, the menu opens very slowly I can watch each icon and all of the text being drawn on the screen. Today, I tried playing a game on this computer and the game ran so slowly that the sound even stuttered, even though it ran perfectly before the CPU upgrade. What happened?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

Have you tried resetting the CMOS? The computer also may need a BIOS update to function properly with that CPU.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

Have you tried resetting the CMOS? The computer also may need a BIOS update to function properly with that CPU.

I haven't reset the CMOS, but I reset the BIOS settings to defaults. The BIOS does not detect the CPU correctly (it thinks I am using an overclocked K6-2/400), so that could be the problem. Unfortunately, Compaq does not list any BIOS updates for this model. I will look at other computers that use the same motherboard to see if they have any updates.

#4 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

Compaq does not have a BIOS update listed for any model of computer using the same motherboard (part number 387610-001). I was hoping that they released an update but decided that this model of computer did not need it. The only way to get the CPU to be detected correctly would be to extract the BIOS and edit it.

Maybe installing a better graphics card and the old Pentium MMX in my junk collection would be the best thing to do, but I would like for my current CPU to give me the performance I was expecting until I can afford to buy a graphics card.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

You could try it, but it appears that that system is rather old-and its possible the socket wasn't designed for the thermal properties of that chip, it may have caused damage, which would lead to it not running to well. I would reset the CMOS, (remove the battery) and try the old CPU back into it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

As I mentioned in the first post, I tried the old CPU again and it was slower than it ever was before. Maybe it was because I did not clear the CMOS.

Also, I had the new CPU underclocked to 400MHz because I was worried about the power consumption of the CPU. There were a couple Asia-only models that used the same motherboard and a 400MHz CPU, so it should have worked. The thermal properties should not be a problem since I am using a huge heatsink, a fan that sounds like a hair dryer at full speed, and a temperature-based fan controller.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

thats why I suggest resetting the CMOS and putting the old one back in.

picard5.jpg

#8 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:42 PM

I just reset the CMOS with the new CPU installed with no change in performance. I'll try putting the old CPU back in and clearing the CMOS again later.

#9 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

The old CPU was still slower than before the upgrade attempt, even after clearing the CMOS, but it wasn't as slow as the time I tried before. The Pentium MMX mentioned above is rated for 200MHz and gives about the same performance as the old CPU currently does.

#10 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

Apparently nobody else knows what is wrong with this computer either. Considering all of the work I had to do to solve other problems this computer had (including making modifications to the motherboard to get the sound working properly), I'm not surprised.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

It is an aging computer, and the newer CPU may have had a higher voltage requirement then that VIA that was in there, which may have damaged some circuitry. Its possible with that old of a system. Have you tried a clean install of the OS? sometimes thats all it is as well, probably couldnt hurt.

picard5.jpg

#12 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

Take a deep breath and start with the basics. Pigeonholing yourself in a diag related to the CPU might be throwing you off.

Simple stuff first. Task manager: How much memory does it show? How much memory is being used? Did you knock a stick loose? How many processes running? What is CPU usage at idle?

Does your CPU show correctly (speed/FSB stc)? Any yellow exclamation marks in hardware/device manager?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#13 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:41 PM

System properties (this computer is running Windows 98, so there is no task manager) show 252MB of RAM installed (4MB is dedicated to the onboard video), but I don't know how much is being used. I will have to check that later.
CPU usage at idle is 0%, according to System Monitor (an optional Windows component that can be installed in the WIndows Setup tab of Add/Remove Programs).
The CPU speed and FSB show up correctly, but most diagnostic programs detect the CPU incorrectly and think that it is overclocked.
There are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager.

The strange thing is that games that support hardware 3D acceleration run better on the new CPU and the new CPU allows me to use the graphic equalizer in Windows Media Player, but everything else either runs at the same speed or considerably slower. There is still the possibility that a motherboard component is damaged and is limiting the speed of the entire system.

Edited by lti, 20 April 2011 - 09:12 PM.

#14 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

System resources are 85% free, but I don't know how to find the actual amount of RAM that is being used. System Monitor might be able to give me this amount, but I haven't tried it yet.

#15 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

I can believe your 3D games run faster. The Cyrix had a horrible FPU and plain sucked on any sort of FPU intensive 3D gaming. The K6-2 was no FPU monster (compared to the same speed pentiums), but since Intel had nothing over 233mhz in Socket 7, AMD had the best performance eventually.

I wish I had some news for you. Those old Socket 7 boards with SiS and VIA chipsets were sometimes picky. I think I went through 3 different Socket 7 boards during that period before I went to a Slot CPU (and the best chipset ever released, the Intel BX).

Is your FSB at 66 or 100? I just have a feeling that somewhere a BIOS setting got screwed up, be it to do with the CPU or memory. I looked around for specific CPU drivers for AMD WIN98 but had no real luck finding anything. I seem to remember there were AMD drivers released for the AMD CPU, but don't know whether they were supplied by Microsoft, or AMD, or both. I do know that some games had specific AMD CPU patches. What the drivers did specifically, I have no idea. Once again, since the old CPU did perform worse, I still think there is a BIOS setting that isn't right.

I wish you luck solving this one.

Edited by dpunisher, 20 April 2011 - 09:38 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users