Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vist Home Premium Freezing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dobermonster

dobermonster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:29 AM

Hi all,

Hope I can get some help with this, it started early yesterday morning.

Laptop freezes shortly after startup in normal mode, 5-15 minutes after logging in. It's working fine in safe mode. Ran chkdsk, ran windows memory diagnostic tool, looked at problem history and event history - nada. Did system restore to 24 hrs before problem started, didn't help. I have Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and AVG free on it, ran both on full scan which didn't come up with anything.

Not getting any BSOD or error messages when it freezes - can't even use ctrl+alt+del, just have to shut it down.

Weirdly, CPU usage in safe mode is between 90-100%, and when I checked it in normal mode it was between 20-40%.

Does this sound like a bad/corrupt driver? If so, how do I uninstall and reinstall? I'm so not technically proficient, so bear with me.

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

Specs:
Toshiba Satellite A350-04S
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00 Ghz
RAM: 4.00 GB
64 bit OS

Edited by dobermonster, 17 April 2011 - 05:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:25 AM

Weirdly, CPU usage in safe mode is between 90-100%, and when I checked it in normal mode it was between 20-40%.

Which process is using the cycles in safe mode?

#3 dobermonster

dobermonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

Which process is using the cycles in safe mode?

Mostly Firefox (48%) and Yahoo messenger.

I'm seriously about to tear my hair out . . . tried to boot into recovery mode using f10 and alt+f10 which didn't work and was kind of my last resort. I don't have the OS disks, it came pre-installed with no disks on the laptop. From what I read there's a way to reformat Vista without the disk? Something about the disk being partitioned so the original OS setup is already on the drive, just needs to be booted and re-installed.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

In normal mode is it also Firefox using the cpu? Any errors in device manager?
What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users