Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to tell if laptop charger is broken

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tarnations

tarnations

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:07 AM

Hi forum,

My laptop battery just ran down while the AC adapter was plugged in, and the laptop will no longer charge. I understand this almost always means a faulty AC adapter or a short in the motherboard.

The green light on the AC adapter, which stays on solidly during normal operation, is blinking while the adapter is plugged in. But this green light blinks regardless of whether or not the adapter is connected to the laptop.

Based on what I've read elsewhere, it's suggested that if the problem is a short on the motherboard and not in the adapter, the adapter light will blink when plugged into the laptop but should stay on solid when only plugged into the electrical outlet. Since my adapter light blinks when only connected to the electrical outlet, does this suggest that the problem is likely with the adapter?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Josh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

Hi,

In short most likely it is an issue with the ac adapter not only based on the blinking light but also that the laptop's battery will not charge while it is plugged in (the adapter that is). If you like I can try to find a replacement for you all I need are the specs of the laptop so that I can find it. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

If you have a voltage meter with a DC scale you can take a reading of the output of the adapter to see if the output is correct. The proper output will be listed on the adapter, it will be rated in DC volts.

If you have a meter but don't know how to use it I can provide you with instructions for that as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users