Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

500 Processes And Counting?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ezzalicious

Ezzalicious

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:43 AM

To put it in a nutshell, I downloaded a game, tried to open it, however it never did. Now accessing my processes list... I have over 500 processes running, and counting. All under the name of the game. My laptop doesn't appear to be running noticeably slower, however these 500 processes are going to mess my computer up sooner or later..

I scanned the executable file with MalwareBytes, Kaspersky (my background AV) and Microsoft Defender. It was clean. Kaspersky however, noted that the program was potential dangerous, only because the digital signature was missing. I told Kaspersky to 'Limit' execution - only to stop dangerous actions.

I then continued to watch my process list grow up to 1000, running under my username. Then eventually, the physical memory overloaded and my computer crashed.

Several days later the same thing occurred. However this time, with a different game. I scanned it, and it was clean. I told Kapsersky to once again, limit execution with no digital signature. Within seconds of opening the game, I had over 200 processes, and the number was slowly rising. I had to hit 'End Process Tree' in order to stop my computer from crashing again.

One person suggested that it had to do with Kaspersky... As other games have worked in the past without limiting them.

I know it isn't a virus or anything malicious, perhaps a glitch? And how can I prevent it?

Additional Info:
Windows 7
AV: Kaspersky Pure

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2011 - 04:30 PM.
Moved from All Other Applications to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:26 AM

Try Googling the names of some of these processes. Perhaps that will help you figure out what's causing them or if they're malicious.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

I would suggest...taking a look at the errors reflected in Event Viewer.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

FWIW: If I had more than 100 processes reflected in Task Manager...I would suspect infection or the need for a clean install. The fact that your system's unorthodox behavior began after one of your downloads...well, that speaks for itself, IMO.

I'm moving this to the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2011 - 04:30 PM.
Moved from All

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users