Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup issues after SSD install

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 rochellerco

rochellerco

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:48 AM

I bought an Asus g73sw-xt1 and also purchased a Corsair F115 SSD to install. Took them to my local computer shop to have it installed and a clean copy of Win7 installed on new SSD.
Now I randomly get an error message on startup that says....
"Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".
If I restart several times it works great, just really annoying having to do that after spending what I did. If I go into Bios, the boot order is correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am comfortable doing many things with computers but have never done any registry editing if it comes to that. I have tried to have the shop look at it since the install but they aren't exactly jumping at the chance to fix it.

System specs....

ASUS G73SW-XT1 17.3" Black Laptop Memory Type: DDR3

Memory Speed: PC3-10600

Memory Speed MHz: 1333MHz

Total Memory Size: 8GB

Capacity: 500GB

Drive Types: Hard Drive

Hard Drive Speed: 7200 RPM

Processor Brand: Intel

Processor Class: Core i7

Processor Type: Quad-Core

Processor Speed: 2.0GHz

Processor Number: 2630QM

Graphics Description: Dedicated Graphics

GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

Video Memory: 1.5GB DDR5 VRAM

Operating Systems: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

And what was installed is...

Corsair 2.5" Force Series F115 115GB SATA II SSD Drive Type: Solid State Drive

Capacity: 115GB

Interface: SATA II

Interface Type: SATA

Write Speed: up to 270 MB/sec

Read Speed: up to 280 MB/sec

Form Factor: 2.5"

Thank you in advance for any help as this website has always been my saving grace!

Edited by rochellerco, 17 April 2011 - 01:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

First off welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I am rather surprised that the computer shop is not showing any signs that they are willing to fix the problem.

There must be something they know that they are not telling you.

Did you experience this issue right after you received the computer back from them?

Have you rechecked the connections between the motherboard and SSD to make sure they are tight, solid connections?

If you are experiencing issues with a device during the boot process, which it appears you are experiencing, I highly doubt a registry edit or tweak is the solution.

Is the drive in any way defective?

Is the power supply supplying enough power to support all your hardware?

I would serious question why the computer shop is not exactly jumping at the chance to fix something that you paid them to put together.

They took your money, you should at the very least, expect fast reliable service from them.

If I was you, before going to far with your own diagnosis and repair, I would threaten to report them to the BBB if they refuse to repair, fix or correct the problem.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:06 PM

I have tried to have the shop look at it since the install but they aren't exactly jumping at the chance to fix it.

Agreed with Mr. Bruce.

This sounds like a hardware failure. There is no registry tweak that will help as the error is occupying even before Win7, which the registry is part of, has started,

Definitely seem`s related to the work you just paid to have done. I would be on the phone with the Shop, perhaps even an in person visit or two.

The BBB is always an option.

#4 rochellerco

rochellerco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

I think my post was in haste. Frustrated and not getting immediate response was not the right thing to do in my part. this install should have been a fairly "simple" thing to do but also need to remember that it is a computer and glitches will happen for odd reasons. Was hopefull that someone had run into the same issues and had a fix as I have searched many hours of forums. So many post on different equipment and different OS.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:16 AM

SSD drives have come a long ways in development, they were slow and error prone and suffered when power was cut to them abruptly during power outages when they first hit the public market years ago.

They are no longer new technology. A lot of the bugs have been worked out of those types of drives, but that is not to say they are 100% error free, specially if the new drive you purchased is a few years old.

But you are pretty much right, glitches can happen in either the physical manufacturing of the drive, the firmware of the drive or the motherboard that it is connected to.

Have you checked any of the customer reviews made by other customers who have also purchased this SSD drive while you were searching for solutions?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 rochellerco

rochellerco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

I have found no issues in forums about my specific SSD nor seen any issues in customer reviews. Contacted ASUS tech support and they are willing to provide no troubleshooting help as it isn't a "factory" component.

I made the registry comment based on a forum I had read about not setting ACHSI and having to do it manually after the SSD was allready installed.

Edited by rochellerco, 20 April 2011 - 01:28 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

Have you be any chance checked the Asus web site to see if there are any BIOS firmware updates that may address newer hardware support?

Bruce.

#8 rochellerco

rochellerco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

none that address hardware issues but I did get a post to reinstall OS based on possibly corrupted boot files. Now I just have to find a clean win 7 file to d/l if anyone knows where to get. I have reg key so im not worried about that. Was instructed to run recovery 1st and try that then go for a full install again.

Edited by rochellerco, 20 April 2011 - 04:17 PM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

You were not given a OS repair or recovery disk with your windows install?

I am curious where they got the Windows installation files from at the repair shop, seems to me they should have given you some type of disk in case you had to re-install or perform an OS recovery or repair.

Bruce.

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

Head over to the Corsair forums and sound them out for any hints. Might be a firmware revision available, might be a work around, might be a BIOS setting that needs tweeking. Lot more likely to find info there vs anywhere else.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#11 rochellerco

rochellerco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:40 AM

Probable fix except that when I enter bios -> Boot -> ???? I don't have the fast boot/quick boot they refer too.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=94440

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

I need to ask you a few questions so I can get the correct support for this laptop, I see numerous links doing a web search for this laptop in sales areas, but none for support, which is what I need at this point.

Since I can not determine your global location, I can not determine if your laptop is a North American purchase or a purchase made in another global region.

The model number under ASUS G73SW-XT1 17.3" Black Laptop is not showing up on the Asus web site, not even on the global web site.

I need to locate a PDF copy of your laptop owners manual, which should have a list of the available BIOS menu options of your laptop.

Bruce.

#13 rochellerco

rochellerco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

Laptop was purchased from Tiger/CompUSA in North America. Most times I have found, this laptop isn't listed anywhere. Even when I go to Corsait forums, the SSD isn't listed either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

Is there any way you can post various images of your BIOS menus while they are expanded and upload them to a free image hosting site so I can view them?

This is the only way I believe I can give you any pointers on what to do.

Imageshack might be a good site to try.

Bruce.

#15 rochellerco

rochellerco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:00 AM

link to PDF manual
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=252&m=G73SW&os=&hashedid=AA97WmwbzXZHuuPv

choose Win 7 64 Bit OS >> Manuals >> E6110 or v1.0.3 (bottom link)- top link doesnt list my laptop
not sure how they differ but both list the G73Sw

Bios Images.............

http://img218.imageshack.us/g/imag0066zs.jpg/

Edited by rochellerco, 23 April 2011 - 02:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users