Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Behaviour from Malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:22 AM

Boopme....this is my wifes PC.....Brian @Outback Australia

Windows XP SP3.....3gb ram...3.00Ghz.......300GbHDD
Norton 360......malwarebytes paid version
I have uninstalled malwarebytes..rebooted..run malwarebytes 'clean'...rebooted....reinstalled malwarebytes.....cleaned out old restore points..established a new restore point. Ran a "quick"scan.......objects scanned 175,891...time elapsed 1 hour 52 minutes and 48 seconds !!!
{{Total files on PC (according to dir /s /a-d c:\ command) is 134,573 !?}}

On my PC the same 'quick" scan takes approx 6 - 7 minutes and covers 81000 objects
Is there something lurking in the innards ??
Brian

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6379

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

17/04/2011 3:33:06 PM
mbam-log-2011-04-17 (15-33-06).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 175891
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 52 minute(s), 48 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:13 AM

just to add to my consternation....i read apost on malwarebytes forum which said that extra time can be taken if mbam is scanning more than one profile.....so i checked how many profiles on the pc and there are 2 !!.....I thought there would only be one......the size of one profile is 1.2GB...the other is 12MB......one created in 7/2010...the other in 4/2011.....neithger my wife ir I have any idea what the second profile is....or which one ius which for that matter. !
I also opened task manager.....in applications, lbam is shown running.....but approx each 7 - 14 seconds it shows "not responding" for 2 seconds...then returns to running and this repeats incesantly.
In performance...the cpu usage goes from around 11% to 14....to 44...to 18......to 7....to 40.....etc etc
The whol;e malwarebytes thing seems to be working in slow motion......a click on the reduce bar ...takes upwards of 7 seconds for it to reduce to the task bar.

HELP please? !

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:53 AM

does anyone have a clue about this?... C:\recycler\nprotect When i run quick scan, and it comes to first instance of this file/folder....and you would swear it hit a brick wall !!....the scan slows to snail pace.
I have searched this item..google...and the general consensus appears to be that it is a left over from an earlier norton thingy. (system works...I think)
If i try to delete it.....access denied etc (hovering over the folder tells me it is approx 25 Gb !!)
Pc still runs reasonably....but scan running for two hours seriously impedes enjoyment and slows everything.
Is anyone still watching this space...?
Brian.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

ok...nobody is watching....lol

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:46 AM

don't worry about it BC...I'll fix it myself.....I will figure it out somehow.
consider this topic closed. 25/4/2011.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users