Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Windows from asking if you want to send a report to Microsoft whenever a program crashes (tips)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ViperDan

ViperDan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

Whenever a program crashes, whether it’s a Microsoft application, a component of Windows, or a third-party application, a window appears, prompting you to send a "report" to Microsoft. If you actually believe that Microsoft will use the data you send them to fix bugs in Windows, I have some beach-front property in Nevada to sell you...

Here's how to disable this feature, either completely or selectively:

* Open System in the Control Panel (or right-click on the My Computer icon and select Properties.
* Choose the Advanced tab, and click Error Reporting.
* You can disable error reporting entirely here, or enable it selectively for certain programs. Click Ok when you're done.

Happy Computing

Edited by boopme, 16 April 2011 - 10:12 PM.
Moved to TIPS

"Don't try and be a great man , just be a man and let history make it's own judgments"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:58 PM

Indeed......

I was just gonna reply to this thread thinking YOU WERE ASKING HOW TO DO THIS...

Fine business :)

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

If you actually believe that Microsoft will use the data you send them to fix bugs in Windows, I have some beach-front property in Nevada to sell you...

Microsoft does make this data available to the third-party software vendor who made the program that crashed. They also use the data for statistical analysis, finding out what the most common causes for a crash is and then either fixing it themselves (if it's their fault, and sometimes even if it's not) or pressuring the vendor responsible to fix it. It also helps MS to identify the chief causes of Windows Component crashes and address them.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

While it has been some years since I used the feature.

I can say with considerable certainty that MS does indeed follow up on the error reports as Andrew stated.

Several times after sending error reports I was actually directed to a link with a fix for the issue.

BTW. You can keep your property.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

I too can confirm that Microsoft does indeed utilize that reported data. I in a previous incarnation was the Manager for the department that dispersed the monthly report Microsoft furnished us to the appropriate departments in our company. Yes we were a third party vendor.

I will pass on the real estate offer, as well.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users