Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Graphics Card Temperatures

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SuperShadow

SuperShadow

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

I have a Sapphire ATI 5770 (Juniper XT) like this model (Newegg link) and for some reason it has some really high temperatures.

Idle: 50 C
Load: 85 C (under Mafia II, 1920x1080 no AA, 8x AF, high detail)

This was with no Overdrive and measured by the HWmonitor and Catalyst Control Center. With in mind, I decided to turn on Overdrive to manually set my fan speed. Running the fan at 60% at idle drops the temps to 50 C, and when I game I put the fan up to 85% to get load temps at 73 C.

I'm wondering what I can do to drop GPU temps? These temps occurred in my Antec 300 case with 1 back exhaust fan and 1 overhead fan (running at low, I've changed it to medium now). I run a Phenom II 965 BE and a Corsair CMPSU-650tx PSU (it has an overhead fan). I'm thinking that maybe some front 120mm fans and maybe a side exhaust fan might help.

I'm not sure about reapplying CPU paste because there is a plastic case that covers the entire video card.

The next thing I'm going to try is gaming with the case cover off to see if it's internal case heat build up.

Edited by SuperShadow, 16 April 2011 - 08:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:44 AM

Adding more cooling fans to the system case will increase the air flow, I have two cooling fans on my towers front panel, 3 out the back, one on the side blowing toward the processor cooling fan, North Bridge chip and video card.

The Video card has its own cooling fan, power supply has 2 fans, plus the processor cooling fan.

As long as your power supply can handle the demand, it never hurts to have as much air flow as possible.

As for removing that plastic cover on the video card, I am not sure what is holding it in place, so I can not make a recommendation to you as to whether it is a good idea or not.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 SuperShadow

SuperShadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:27 AM

Thanks for the information Bruce!

I have space for 2 front fans and 1 side fan, so I'll probably look to filling those spots up with some.

At this point manually setting the graphics card fan to run at 95-100% seems to keep temperatures in check, and I can deal with the noise so it's not an issue, but I consider it a kind of a temporary measure until I find some time to buy and install those fans.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:11 AM

Try set the fans to the max.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 BarryMilton

BarryMilton

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

it never hurts to have as much air flow as possible.

+1

My AMD Phenom 9750 would run 72C when I ran both Trend Micro antivirus & SuperAntiSpyWare at the same time. Added two Noctua NF-P12 fans, one sucking in through the side panel & one blowing out the back. Max temp dropped almost 10C, much more than I expected. Best $45 I ever spent, and the Noctua's are so quiet that no one knows they are there.

#6 BarryMilton

BarryMilton

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

Even after adding the two Noctua fans, Prime 95 would exceed 73 before I stopped the test. A Gemini Coolermaster made all the difference. Prime 95 now runs at 58-59.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users