Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

device to prevent battery overcharge?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Barefoot2

Barefoot2

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

I believe I read somewhere that there are devices to use when charging your laptop battery, etc. that keep it from overcharging if you are not there to pull the plug. Does anyone know what I am talking about, and if there are various makes, which to buy?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

I have never heard of any such device.

Most all lap tops that I know of have that ability built in. The battery is charged only as needed.
How ever some manufacturers may recommend removing the battery if you are using the PC pluged in for a prolonged period of time.

The two we have, Dell and HP are constantly used on AC power. The Dell battery seem`s fine but the Wife`s HP battery would get a bit warm. So purely as a safety precaution we removed it.

If you are experiencing a similar problem you may want to have a look at the manufacturers site to see if perhaps there has been a recall on your machine type, battery for some reason.

#3 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:10 AM

After some thought, and discussion with my husband,I believe that the device was advertised in the new gadgets and product segment of a fairly recent Popular Science issue. Unfortunately, I can't be sure, and it is not one that we still have on hand. I recently replaced my battery, and was told that it died due to overcharging. I do not know if that is true. I was not aware of the possibility, and between school work and writing a book, it stas plugged in most of the time. I am trying to be more careful with this one. If what I was told was incorrect, then I will not worry about it.

ETA If it is of interest, I am using a Gateway m series laptop; it is about 3 years old.

Edited by Barefoot2, 17 April 2011 - 12:13 AM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:15 AM

I will not swear that what you were told is incorrect. As to the reason it happened.....? A faulty circuit in the battery allowing it to over charge? A faulty circuit on the motherboard? A faulty circuit in the AC adapter.

What you can do to help prolong the batteries life is to remove it when running on AC power. Just be sure to put it back in several hours in advance of when you anticipate you may need use of it to insure a full charge.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:50 AM

Li-Ion laptop batteries have built-in controller chips which prevent it from overcharging, as they can explode if overcharged.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users