Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spy Sheriff Good Or Bad

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cosmicbass

Cosmicbass

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:01 PM

About 4 months ago a guy got on my computer and left a back door open (yea, thanks) so next day i wake up with just about a black screen and no mouse. Well i had backup and i worked for weeks cleaning up all the Virus's and had it out with Norton all at once. While this was going on i installed the trail version of Spy Sheriff.. as you know it is almost un-installable. I could NOT get rid of the trial version.... but the darn thing was working really good finding everything that things like Spy Bot and all missed.

So i figured if this is so tenacious, why not buy it. I bought the full version and installed it... Now a link took me here because the guys were crying about spy ware etc... they mentioned Spy sheriff.. My question is did I buy a legitimate product or a did I buy a malware or virus? I mean once you pay for it, and it is running.... it finds everything and is NO problem. should I leave it on my machine... it seems to be just fine. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:40 PM

Cosmicbass,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. In a word, NO. It's not a legitimate product. See this site and Eric Howe's views. Scroll down to SpySheriff on the list. I advise removing it. Take a look at this link for further instructions on how to rid yourself of it. Please don't hesitate to post back if you have any difficulties or are unsure. And Good Luck. hth

Be (Bogus Product) Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Shueisha

Shueisha

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:02 PM

i had it, then i scanned with spybot and it identifyed spysherriff as spyware

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:53 PM

Yes, spysheriff is spyware. Here is what www.spywarewarrior.com says about it:

aggressive advertising, reported stealth-installs; false positives work as goad to purchase; inadequate scan reporting; same app as SpyDemolisher, SpyTrooper, & SpywareNo

Also take a look over at Lavasoft
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:26 PM

I merged two duplicate posts into one thread.

Cosmicbass - please do not dual post in different forums as it is confusing to members and more.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:47 PM

Bottom line, get rid of it ASAP!
It is a rogue spyware program and is a waste of your money.

BTW I have removed your third post. As Koan has stated there is no need to create similar topics.
It is a waste of our time and resources. OK :thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 02 January 2006 - 11:56 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users