Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Recovery Rogue, NEED HELP!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 miloshPW

miloshPW

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

after going on a website to download something, I got this message a few minutes later:

Hard Drive Failure
The system has detected a problem with one or more installed IDE / SATA hard disks. It is recommended that you restart the system.

so, I go to run MalwareBytes and during the scan my computer shuts down and restarts,
a 'Windows Recovery' rogue window came up and does the usual BS that malware does.

I ran my computer in safe mode, and ran RKill through my external harddrive which ran fine.
and then I went to run Combofix... no luck. didn't work, not even in safe mode.

The malware also hid all of my files and programs.... I can easily unhide the files- but I'm not sure about the programs.
so I tried re-installing MalwareBytes via my external harddrive and that was a no-go as well.

btw, it won't even let me get to system restore. and when I get to it through 'Run' it doesn't let me use it.

I'm thinking of just using the discs that set my PC back to factory settings unless someone can help me!
this is important to me too, I use this computer to produce all my music on.

it'd be appreciated if I could get some help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rick Adams

Rick Adams

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

In case you haven't seen it, here is the guide to Remove Windows Recovery.

An up-to-date malwarebytes should be able to remove this program, though getting it installed and/or updated can be tricky once you're infected.
If you have uninstalled malwarebytes (mbam) and are now having problems re-installing it you may need to run mbam-clean which will clean any mbam remnants.
You should then be able to perform a clean install of mbam.
Once installed be sure to update, then run a full scan.

Once the malware is gone, the guide above has instructions on how to bring back all of your hidden files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users