Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get more speed out of your pc free

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 25 October 2004 - 01:52 PM

I dont know how many of you have ever tried items like this but they do work! This is a program thats called "free ram xp pro". It free's up ram so you can use it when needed. I have a serious ram shortage on my laptop. Xp literally eats all the resources out of your pc whether or not you do anything or not! This is a free program and has helped me a little bit on my pc so I thought it would share! It will post pone me from buying more ram for now.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...id,22441,00.asp
Hope it helps you!
CGM3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 25 October 2004 - 04:52 PM

There is a similar, free program for all versions of Windows, called Fast Defrag, which allows you to optimize memory configurations:

http://www.amsn.ro/index.php?action=2

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2004 - 03:17 AM

I used to have a program like this on my computer, called RamBooster, but after an Article I read, I recently removed it..

Read the atricle by renowned Windows guru Mark Russinovich here:

http://www.winntmag.com/Article/ArticleID/41095/41095.html

Mainly it says: the only thing that these programs can do is harm real system performance.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:31 PM

It helps me. But then it slows me down too...Im buying more ram anyways.....Then it goes

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 26 November 2004 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the link The Trip . It is quite an informative read. I currently use RamBooster, and I like it. In regards to the article, it does seem like there are people on both sides of the fence on its uses.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 Gedalneil

Gedalneil

Grand Fleegle

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions from all parties. But, now I am in the middle. For the ones using it, do you notice a considerable improvement?

#7 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:50 AM

I see a noticeable difference, but then again I have been using for so many years on different computers, that I do not really have a similar computer without it to compare the difference. I can say one thing, I do like the ability to manually free up RAM (with a click of a button), prior to opening up a memory intense program such as video editing.

From my understanding Rambooster helps switch programs in and out of the swap file and physical RAM based on what recent files have been used.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 07:17 PM

What improvement you do get will come only when you use it after opening and closing many files and programs. A reboot will do the same job. I generally run the application before playing games, since these require a lot of ram.
Cheers
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users