Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to recover from HP sys restore

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bhl

bhl

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

My Kaspersky kept locking up upon accessing the web/email and I figured I'd simply restore to a previous setpoint and then reinstall updates. Unfortunately I brainfarted and ran Restore instead of Recovery and the system went back to near beginning. I'm unable to open Kaspersky nor am I able to restore my old files via MS backup feature. It sees the files but skips putting them back to the C drive.

I have two backups on an Iomega. The first was a full backup from last Dec using MS Backup. The second is a weekly backup using Iomega quikprotect. I am unable to open QP and get an error message that a DLL is unable to load.

Here's the approach I'm thinking I need to take and I'm looking for assistance and/or other ideas:
1) Use the MS backup and restore my outlook express files to an alternate location and manually xfer them to the proper location.
2) Find the email that contains my Kaspersky license code and reload Kaspersky. (I'm currently using my work laptop, so I'm not at risk so far). If I can't find the email, then I'll have to bite the bullet and purchase a new subscription :(
3) Run a full virus scan just in case and ensure I'm fully protected before doing anything else.
4) Redownload quikprotect and see if I can then open it and restore my files. Plan B: restore select files from my dec backup to an alt location and move them back where they belong. (Plan B is not desireable because I have a ton of photos taken since then that I really don't want to lose.)
5)Find all my CDs and reinstall all my apps :(

Here's where I really need the help for step 1. Where are the OE files located? (so I can select the specific backup folder data, and then xfer them to the proper location after restoring.)

Thanks,
Byram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users