Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive critical error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gamma67

gamma67

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

Ok...im not sure if my computer crashed or what..but heres what happened. I was renewing my McAfee..downlading it...when my computer restarted it went to a blk screen. I lost everything. I can go on sites but only some of the words show. It says hard drive critical error and to run sstem dianostic utility. Didnt work...not sure what to do. Pleaseeee help me!

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2011 - 07:52 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:52 AM

Test the drive with the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software. Links are here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If the Windows version won't install or won't run, download the DOS version instead. That will be an ISO CD-Image from which you can make a bootable CD using IMGBURN from here: http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

Boot your PC from that CD.

If you are unable to determine the make of hard drive, just test it with Seagate SeaTools from here: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/
It's available in a Windows or DOS version.

Run the "Long" test. If it reports "Failed" in any of the test categories, you will have to replace the drive.

Edited by pip22, 17 April 2011 - 05:53 AM.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:42 AM

It says hard drive critical error and to run sstem dianostic utility. Didnt work...

Not sure what you mean by "did`t work".

What did\did`t it do?
Did you receive any error messages? Did the diagnostic tool by chance ask for money before it would run?

Edited by ThunderZ, 17 April 2011 - 07:45 AM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

It says hard drive critical error and to run sstem dianostic utility.

Where and when do you see that message and how does it appear?

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

Are you able to remove the update you just installed?
Are you able to go back to a restore point?

#6 gamma67

gamma67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

ok i downloaded seagate but it wouldnt let me run it. Says same thing as all the other ones i try and run. Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item. Then the box keeps popping up saying windows delayed write failed. Im lost :(
I tried the TDSSKiller..but that wont run either. Or the combofix

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:44 AM

So the machine actually boots into Windows and runs?

Does at any point a message come up offering to fix the problem?

Try doing as Pip22 suggested. Download the .iso and burn it to a CD following the instructions he provided. Do it on another PC if one is available. It is possible that this is an infection and not an actual hardware problem.
Would you please either answer my first two questions and\or do as Pip22 suggested so we can narrow it down.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:46 AM

It says hard drive critical error and to run sstem dianostic utility.

Where and when do you see that message and how does it appear?

#9 gamma67

gamma67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

its the windowsfixdisk virus. It does boot up and run. A message saying to purchase the windowsfix popped up

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:49 AM

Please use the removal guide at the following link:
Remove Windows Fix Disk or WindowsFixDisk (Uninstall Guide)

The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM. Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Please post the log and let us know how the system is running now.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 gamma67

gamma67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

i already tried that...didnt work. cant run the programs. When i boot up it says checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. The volume is dirty. CHKDSK is verifying files. File verification completed. Verifying indexes. It goes on and on for about 10 mins. Once im finally able to log onto my acct...says Windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:\$Mft. Unable to locate component. Then every 5 seconds a box pops up saying windows delayed write failed. I cant run combofix...says windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item. I ran the malwarebytes' anti malware on the 17th. Today...i am unable to access the internet in safe mode. Nothing is working to this point :(

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

When i boot up it says checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. The volume is dirty. CHKDSK is verifying files. File verification completed. Verifying indexes. It goes on and on for about 10 mins.

Which Windows operating system are you using .... XP, Vista, Win7 ?
Service pack level ?

Do you have the installation CD/DVD?
Boot from the installation CD and run chkdsk /r in an attempt to fix the issue with the HDD file system. The process may take a considerable length of time, so be patient and allow it to finish un-interrupted.

We will deal with the malware infection when the above issue is resolved.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users