Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with XP Security 2011 virus, please help.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oleic

oleic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

Today at 9:56AM my computer was infected with the XP Security 2011 virus. I think it's common but anyway..

Everytime I'd try to use a file (Malwarebytes, ccleaner, Byond)nothing would happen. So I brought up Windows Task Manager and put it to the side while rapidly clicked Malwarebytes to see what process would pop up in the Processes tab, and I found out it was lyy.exe. Also when the XP Security 2011 fake virus scan windows would pop up, I'd open a lot of explorer.exe things (like Search, My computer, control panel) and the XP Security 2011 windows stacked up and it say lyy.exe 3. So I used the Search feature, typed in lyy.exe and deleted the file. It also has steamerrorreporter.exe when I held the cursor over it. Whenever I try to open anyfile a box pops up saying "Choose the program you want to use to open the file". The only program that seems to work is Internet Explorer. Thank god, and thats how I'm posting this.

I've tried running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, that didn't work, so I can't post any logs. I've tried downloading rkill but after I download and click Open, it doesn't open at the 'Open With' box pops up again. I tried putting "cacls "c:\program files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /G Everyone:F" but that made no change.

This happened a few days ago but I removed it (somehow), but there were still viruses on my computer that malwarebytes, spybot and rkill didn't catch (that continously kept redirecting whatever site I would go to to something completely unrelated. Internet Explorer error script boxes also kept popping up when I wasn't even using Internet Explorer, but I guess that may be for another post?) Anyway, when I had the virus a few days ago, it was named XP Internet Security 2011 and it's .exe was fuu.exe. So I now know if I see fuu.exe or lyy.exe, it's a virus.

Is this fixable? Any help is -tremendously- appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 16 April 2011 - 12:07 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

I suggest trying the removal guide at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011 as a first step.

If you continue to have problems...follow the instructions in the Guide...for posting malware logs in the appropriate BC forum.

Louis

#3 oleic

oleic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:16 PM

Louis, I have my OS is Windwos XP Professional, not Windows 7. Do I still use that guide?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users