Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer monitor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GrannyGizz

GrannyGizz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:52 AM

I have a Lexmark 3100 printer that has been working for a long time. I've been having problems with my computer and finally decided that I should reformat and start from scratch. I did that sort of successfully but when I tried to reinstall my printer, I got the message "The specified print monitor is unknown". I googled Print Monitor but the things there were no help, although I did try a generic change registry hint. there were hints for other printers and the regisrty but I was hesitant to try any of these. Can you tell me anything about this error?
GrannyGizz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NicoDev

NicoDev

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Hello

Did you try this ?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870666

Regards,

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

Okay we need some more information here. What OS are you running and what Service Pack level? Check the printer name again be sure to include any letters (i.e. P3100) that occur before or after the numbers since I'm having a hard time locating that printer number via Lexmark. Also how is the printer connected to the computer? USB? Network?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 GrannyGizz

GrannyGizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:57 AM

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Sempron™ Processor 3400+, x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1470 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series , 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 230540 MB; K: Total - 145958 MB, Free - 90194 MB;
Motherboard: MSI, AMETHYST-M, 1.0,
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

This is info about my computer.

The printer is a Lexmark 3100 series and is several years old. It has always worked well.
I had had a problem with my computer and decided that I should reformat the drive and reinstall Windows XP. I did all that and used Acronis to put my data back on. I had to unhook the smaller drive because it wanted to be Drive C and I wanted the larger one to be "C". I'm sure you know that process.I hadn't printed anything for a while and really didn't notice anything odd about the printer. When I ran Driver Detective to make sure everything was good, it gave me an error message about the printer..needed new drivers...I did what I thought was right but got the message that "The specified print monitor is unknown". I googled that and found some info about repairing or reinstalling XP. I did that and it still doesn't work. Several suggestions were about changing the registry but they named a specific machine so I stayed away from that but one was quite generic and I did that but, still no go.
My next step will be to completely start from scratch with a clean installation but I'd rather not if you have any suggestions.
Do you need to know anything else? I'm not afraid to try things.
GrannyGizz

#5 GrannyGizz

GrannyGizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

to NicoDev

I went to this site and did what was asked butin the inf folder, my printer.inf is not there.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870666

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

Is the printer connected via USB, Ethernet, print server? The print monitor monitors the port that the printer uses or that it expects the printer to use. When you re-installed XP did you install all of the drivers for the motherboard, video, sound ect? Also have you run through the windows update process? It can often take several passes for all of the updates to be installed.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#7 GrannyGizz

GrannyGizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

The printer is connected by USB. After I did the reinstall, I had over 100 updates for XP so I expect I got them all.In my Google search, UAC-User Access Control was mentioned...I tried that, no go.

In the Windows Kb, they referred to #870666, but the .inf file that was supposed to be there, wasn't.
I did a registry edit...HKey_local_machine|system\currentControlSet\Control\.... Idon't know where I got that info. I've tried SO many things, I don't know if I'm coming or going.
I tried to install the printer on my laptop but that was another kettle of fish....That has Windows 7 and the drivers didn't work at all. It asked to d/l new drivers and when I did, they didn't auto-install and i didn't know what to do next so I just backed away from that. One thing at a time.

#8 GrannyGizz

GrannyGizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

Another thing that was talked about was Language Monitor. Does that help?

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

Exactly how are you going about trying to install this printer?
Are you using the cd provided by Lexmark?

Here are the drivers from the Lexmark website that you need. Make sure that the USB cable is unplugged before installing and do not plug it in until prompted to do so.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users