Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Image search redirect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jennytalia

Jennytalia

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:13 AM

System - MacBook Pro 2.4GhZ running OSX 10.6.7 running FireFox 3.5.18

It appears that my google image searching has been compromised somehow. I will do an image search, click a thumbnail, and as I am trying to navigate back to the search results I get redirected to 'Find the differences between these two iphones' (My link) or storefeedbackrewards.com.

It doesn't seem to happen in Safari, nor does it seem to happen during a normal google search.

I don't know a whole lot about the inner workings of Mac OS, so I haven't really done anything to try to solve this on my own. I know just enough to know that I don't know.

I don't download and install much software, and when I do I do it through the windows partition so I can run and AV and such before I install. I was under the impression that there wasn't a whole lot in the way of viruses and malware for the Mac, and what was out there was pretty rare. I don't run any Antivirus or Anti-spyware software on the Mac side.

If there is any help anyone can lend, I would really appreciate it, along with any information I may need to keep this machine running smoothly. If I am horribly outdated in my Mac virus info, PLEASE tell me before something really bad happens! :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

Try doing a clean uninstall of Firefox. You should save your bookmarks before doing that. Especially
if you have a lot of them.
A clean uninstall also requires removal of your Firefox profile. If you don't know how to find it, go
to the link in the link below for directions.
Uninstalling Firefox | How to | Firefox Help

EDIT:
You might be interested in using this AppCleaner

Edited by buddy215, 16 April 2011 - 09:12 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:42 AM

Also you should update to firefox 4. After you fix the redirect issue of course.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

If you start FireFox in OSX with the OPTION key down, you will be given the option to reset everything.
Backup your Bookmarks before you choose to have them reset.
Windows has a FireFox SafeMode option that offers the same resets.
Image searches will sometimes disable the back button, depending on the site.
Test by doing a search for cats or something simple. it may be the site you are going to (especially images for sale sites).
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users