Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Record video on the fly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Geoffc

Geoffc

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:33 AM

I want to record the occasional training video in my woodwork hobby for replay later.
Most options seem to assume I have the program on file, and that;s not the case. I'm not intending any illegal or illicit function. Is it permissible to record video "on the fly" and if so, can someone suggest me a means?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:02 AM

Do you mean downloading a video from Youtube or someplace like it? If so, I use Real Player. I'm not sure what you mean by "recording".

http://www.real.com/

#3 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for suggestion, frankp316: have a look at free videos on http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-videos/ for examples. They don't stay there long enough. You'll see they play in the browser, and I cannot link them with a recorder to name and file a copy.

Installed Real Player (think I dumped it 4-5 years ago because of excessive nags) and (with Streaming Video selected) I pressed the Record button, then started the clip playing in a browser window. The Record light blinks, but the progress slider doesn't move. They're unconnected.

I'll look for more detailed guidance in Help and tutorial material, but your further comment is invited meanwhile.
GeoffC

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:03 AM

Camstudio might be the answer for you - I use it when videos do not download.

Creates a large AVI file, which you can convert to a reasonable size MPG with something like
Any Video Converter.

http://camstudio.org/

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:57 AM

Thanks for suggestion, frankp316: have a look at free videos on http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-videos/ for examples. They don't stay there long enough. You'll see they play in the browser, and I cannot link them with a recorder to name and file a copy.

Installed Real Player (think I dumped it 4-5 years ago because of excessive nags) and (with Streaming Video selected) I pressed the Record button, then started the clip playing in a browser window. The Record light blinks, but the progress slider doesn't move. They're unconnected.

I'll look for more detailed guidance in Help and tutorial material, but your further comment is invited meanwhile.
GeoffC

As I suspected, you are not looking to record the video. You are looking to download the clip. It appears to be a proprietary clip that may be DRM protected. You might not be able to download it. Real Player will download any embedded clip unless it's DRM protected. Other video downloaders won't download this clip. So I would try Real Player.

#6 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

Thanks again, frankp316. I can find no way to download these clips or record them with either version of RealPlayer. I can only conclude that the clips are protected, and will ask the supplier when I have a little more time spare. Presently, the project has gotten too hard.
GeoffC.

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:41 AM

Geoffc
Camstudio is a free program and records the video as it is playing on your screen.
It's easy to use, why not give it a try.

#8 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for your reminder, Pete, and a belated acknowledgement to frankp316 for suggesting Camtasia first. I was so fed up over time spent struggling with RealPlayer that I ran out of tolerance for further possibles. Time spent on getting competent is the cost we mostly forget.
This package does exactly what I wanted. I'll get busy, though, and record the current offers. You may not be aware that Camtasia has a FREE 30-day trial; ownership is $299, a bit more than I planned on this nice-to-have facility.

GeoffC

#9 Barthez

Barthez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

• Camstudio is a basic Open Source recorder;
  • Camtasia is a paid, full-blown suite for creating professional recordings;
  • BB FlashBack Express is a freeware (after registration with email) program that could satisfy your needs;
  • Jing allows recording an on-screen activity, although it needs (free) account creation and sign-in to work.

HTH

Edited by Barthez, 10 May 2011 - 03:00 PM.

Barthez

Posted Image

#10 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

Such a small error, such a huge waste of time. My (very costly) mistake.

GeoffC

#11 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:02 AM

Looks like a useful resource Andrew23, I'll have a bit of a play.
I now have a satisfactory solution with Camstudio, but I really want to commend your effort to add value. This site will pay you back some day.

Many thanks,

GeoffC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users