Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My CD drive isn't being recognized by my computer any more.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 matt taco

matt taco

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:49 AM

I will update with all of my computer specs in a little bit...

So a while a go I decided to go into services and disable things that weren't completely necessary (like telephony and the error reporting service). I followed a guide on the internet at: http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp

After I did that, my computer didn't recognize the CD drive. I found this out when I went to re-install my wireless adapter which was failing a few seconds after I would connect to the internet... I put the CD in, then nothing happened, so I went into My Computer to try and see if I could just click on the icon to open the CD, but it wasn't there. I could press on the button for the CD drive and it would pop open, but I guess the computer wasn't recognizing the CD drive.

Another thing that I should mention is that there was a weird process called profilecnt.exe that was running. Also, you know how you usually can see the username in the process explorer window, well only one of the names were showing. I think it was my user name. I googled profilecnt.exe and I didn't really find anything.

So after this, I booted up my computer in safe mode and then ran Malware Bytes ( I have a paid subscription). In safe mode, my sound card disables. In regular mode, it doesn't.

So those are the weird conditions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

To overstate the obvious...did you try returning your system to the pre-disable movement?

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors indicating system problems?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Louis

#3 matt taco

matt taco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

My computer has no set back points that I know of... Unless you can automatically go back before a previous action (like ctrl+z ? ) I have never done a system back up. Maybe my computer would have a system back up point, but I don't really know how to find one... Is there a way to see if you have a system restore point?

I will check out event viewer and let you know what happens.

Edited by matt taco, 16 April 2011 - 05:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users