Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

X800 GTO ati2dvag boot error 8 times in device manager

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DChronos

DChronos

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

After messing around trying to find solutions for a week, I've decided to ask here about it.

Soyo Dragon II Platinum motherboard
Pentium 4 2.4C processor
ATI Sapphire X800 GTO flashed to 16 pixel pipes (at least 5 years ago, never any problem)
OCZ (extreme?) ram, but timings are set to default low, not to the maximum settings
I think the power supply is a 450 or 500 Watt power supply, I know I got something that would handle the board, sound, video, floppy, 2 sata and 1 ultra ata hard drive.

If anything else is needed, ask.

Background information:

I have an ATI Sapphire X800 GTO card that I bought and installed about 5 years ago. This was the special r430 core version, so of course, I flashed the BIOS to the X800XT type BIOS that opened the 12 pipes into the 16 that are actually available.

Also, I removed the basic crap heatsink that came with it and installed a nice large copper Articool dual side heat sink. The fan works fine. Temps stay around 30-35C at all times.

I have never gotten to actually use anything graphics intensive on this card that would generate any real heat. The most I have really done with this card, aside from some Minecraft (which I haven't played in about 3 months anyway) was doing stress testing with ATITool doing the fuzzy cube tests. I've never stressed the card in any way, as all I've really done is browse, view vids once in a while, etc... really basic stuff. I never had one single video problem in all these years... maybe 1 blue screen error trying to install the newest drivers that had me immediately go back, but this was like a year ago.

The card has worked perfectly fine until about a few months ago, when I would randomly, maybe once every few weeks, have an ati2dvag.dll has caused an infinite loop error on Windows boot, right when it's about to show the mouse cursor.

Restarting would go through fine and windows worked fine. It's only happened maybe 5 times until last Saturday.

Problem info:

Last Friday, my pc worked perfectly fine. Never had any graphics problems while the PC was running. Any error that did occur was only during boot, and it was always that ati2dvag.dll infinite loop error.

I go to bed Friday night, everything's fine, and I hadn't installed anything in months or changed any settings of stuff in at least many weeks. No viruses, though haven't done combofix... but nothing else is having a problem, so I doubt it's any virus, and I don't like combofix adding keys for stuff I didn't choose for it to add, anyway.

Saturday around noon, I'm up ad start my PC... it has the ati2dvag.dll infinite loop again. I restart and it still does. I keep trying and it won't go past there, so I go to safe mode to try to figure things out and do a system restore to try that. After that, it acts like my card isn't installed anymore and detects it 8 times, popping up the new hardware found 8 times.

I do everything from uninstalling everything ati related, including using Driver Sweeper, and try reinstalling them. If I install the drivers, I get the infinite loop error, or one or another error that's similar, such as:
STOP 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xBAE28EF3, 0xF78E25C8, 0xF78E22C8)

win32k.dll showed up once... another ATI driver showed up once... all these during different tries at reinstalling the drivers.

I have even had a few times where I couldn't get into safe mode after installing the ATI drivers...

So right now, I have them all uninstalled. I can use the computer, but with a refresh rate of 1hz from these default drivers, it's getting extraordinarily annoying.

Also, every time I start the PC, I get the popup for new hardware found 8 times, and it shows up 8 times in the device manager. If I cancel, they all end up under Unknown Device as Video Controller (VGA Compatible). If I install and get into safe mode, or check before restarting the computer, it shows X800 GTO 8 times under the Display Devices.

What's more is, when I check the driver properties after insalling, it says it conflicts with stuff... when I check the System Information, it shows up 8 times there all with the same address conflicting with ITSELF, and the same thing goes for the IRQ 10... 8 times, conflicting with itself. It has 2 or 3 separate memory address ranges it conflicts with.

There's more, though.

In ATI Tool, when I check the extra info by holding shift and going to settings, it often says there's 0 active pipelines, but sometimes says 16 like it should. In the fuses, I could swear the fuses are supposed to say 0xA61, but maybe I'm mistaken for the r430 bios flash... it says 0xA60 right now.

Even more though.. I tried installing a new install of XP on a backup drive to test this card out... it was still detected 8 times, and installing the drivers still makes it blue screen.

There were 2 times where I was able to get it to boot past the error only when I used windows recovery console and chose to use the last settings that worked... but when it got to the desktop, the resolution was cut way down to the minimum with minimum colors, and shortly after, it does still crash with the ati2dvag.dll infinite loop error.

So long story short... I have the card show up 8 times in the device manager and have it detected by plug n play 8 times in a row. Installing the ATI drivers, no matter what, uninstalling completely and reinstalling, causes it to have some fatal error at boot when the cursor is supposed to show up.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers... I had the last official drivers for this card already... I pulled the card out and cleaned it, put it back in... swapped my ram modules around... turned off hyperthreading and checked to see if it detected 8 times again, and it did... tried on a new windows install... tried installing it through the ATI installer and through the MS install wizard searching on the windows site, same result.

And... I have never even done anything that would cause this card to get hot, no graphics intensive games or software. It does get a lot of dust, but the temps had never shown any more than about 35C, and the temp sensor is reading right. I didn't install anything in weeks, or play any games in months, only doing ebay browsing... no viruses, and the fresh windows install on a different hard drive not connected to the net showing the same 8 times thing shows it's not that.

I have seen people talk about the 8 times thing before and the same thing, but never seen anything said after someone suggested reinstalling the motherboard chipset stuff. Only problem is, my board has an Intel chipset, and Intel's site says flat out that this does not install VGA driver stuff and won't fix VGA driver problems... and even though I did try on the fresh windows install, installed the drivers from my motherboard driver disk, still the same thing.

I have no idea how my card could be perfectly fine, then OVER NIGHT when the PC is off, it just suddenly has a permanent problem the next day, or how any kind of hardware problem could happen considering I don't stress the card or do anything that makes it get even lukewarm, and haven't even done anything resembling a program that might make the card start to get warm in 3 months.

Let me know if you need more info.

EDIT:

Oh, yeah, to add to the confusion on my end, the whole reinstalling chipset drivers part... there was one post I'd seen where someone said they fixed their vid card showing up 8 times in the device manager, which was also causing the boot failure, by reinstalling the AGP drivers... but how the heck do I reinstall those, and why didn't a new XP install work on a separate hard drive change anything?

Edited by hamluis, 17 April 2011 - 07:01 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

FWIW: My experience with ATI cards...they show 2 tuners in Device Manager because the card supports 2 monitors. Sooo...you should see 2 items under display adapters, based on my experience.

I would delete all items in Device Manager under dispay adapters...reboot...and then reinstall the drivers.

It's also my experience that the ATI drivers become damaged and the uninstall/reinstall of the ATI drivers reflected in Device Manager...is probably the best way to resolve that situation so that undamaged drivers can be installed.

Louis.

#3 DChronos

DChronos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:02 AM

I know this one should show 2, but it doesn't, it detects 8 instead of 2.

I already said I uninstalled all the drivers and reinstalled them. Removing all them from the device manager and trying to do it just has it crash at startup again because installing the drivers at all makes it crash on boot, even on a brand new install of windows on a different hard drive.

And even when it did get into windows without crashing the 1 or 2 times it did with the display all screwed up, it still sat there detecting the thing 6 more times again, until it crashed.

Oh, yeah, there was a bit of info I forget to add in before, the minidump generated...

I don't see any driver at fault in the last dump it did about a week or so ago, just that it starts off with PAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGEPAGE over and over for a long time. I attached it below.

Attached Files

Edited by DChronos, 17 April 2011 - 01:15 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:19 AM

If your system crashes on boot...that's an anomaly.

Lack of the XP drivers by ATI...should have no impact at all on the video, other than XP using the generic default driver for video initially. Installation of the ATI drivers increases the resolution options available...lack of those drivers does not prevent video from working.

I would either find a different suspect for the crashes...or test the premise that the card is dying.

Louis

#5 DChronos

DChronos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

....I'm sorry, but did you even read all of the first post at all...?

I said that INSTALLATION of the ATI drivers CAUSES it to crash on boot, right when the video is supposed to start going through the card, when the cursor appears, immediately after the windows loading logo. I did NOT say that it crashes without the drivers.

Without the drivers, XP loads into windows just fine, and uses the crappy generic driver that I am tired of because it's slow as hell. It doesn't use any of the card's advanced features, and the ATI ones do, and that's exactly the point.

I am here only because I have uninstalled the ATI catalyst drivers and I'm using the generic VGASave drivers and I'm still on this screwed up card.

WITH the ATI drivers installed, it crashes on boot right after the windows XP loading thing, and when it was first happening last Saturday, it was always saying it crashed on ati2dvag.dll... that's an ATI driver installed by the catalyst installation. If not that, it crashed on other ATI drivers, like ati2evxx. Once it said win32k in there, but I'm sure it was the fault of the ATI drivers... in fact, I think it also mentioned ati2evxx in that same one, cause I didn't stop long before hitting reset.

Two different downloads of the Catalyst drivers failed, of 2 different versions. Installing the X800GTO drivers through Microsoft's New Hardware Wizard from the Microsoft website failed. Installing on a different hard drive on a fresh install of XP failed.

I pulled the card out days ago, cleaned it up, reseated it in and it still didn't work. While I had it out, I looked it over and saw nothing physically wrong with the card, as far as I could see with the ATI Silencer 5 cooler in the way.

And as I said, I've never ran this card with anything taxing aside from about 15 minutes testing the fuzzy cube in ATITool... about 5 years ago. No major 3D games... hardly any games at all, really. Dust buildup wasn't so bad it kept air from flowing. The temps never got to be very much, so far as I've ever seen, cooler than my hard drives, and this failure happened overnight... it just suddenly stopped working the next day I turned the PC on.

And no, there was no storm or surge. I got a high quality surge protector on this.

I found the power supply box, and it's a 430 Watt Antec Earthwatts power supply.

What's drawing power in my PC is:
Soyo Dragon II board with front USB/card reader thing
Intel P4 2.8C Hyperthreaded processor w/fan that came with it
2 sticks of 2GB OCZ Extreme ram
an 80GB Seagate Baracuda SATA drive
a 160GB Maxtor Ultra ATA drive
a 750GB WD (Caviar? it's the black version, not green or blue) SATA drive
'-inside a removable bay with 2 tiny fans
ATI X800 GTO card with ATI Silencer 5 heatsink w/cooler fan
'-(flashed from 12 to 16 pixel pipelines, BIOS flashed and heatsink installed 5 years ago)
a SB Audigy 2 ZS card with the front panel
a DVD-RW drive
a generic floppy drive
2 160mm cooling fans

The same thing happens whether the 750Gb drive is in or not. I removed that to keep it from drawing power to test that, but I'm not sure how many watts it actually draws.

I also tried without hyper-threading on, and I switched the 2 sticks of ram around. But considering nothing else is crashing anywhere, I doubt it's the ram anyway, but that could be that the bad area is still reserved by the card for whatever reason.

Also, I tried setting the AGP Aperture size from 64Mb to 128Mb in the BIOS.

If I can find my tube of Arctic Silver 5 I bought to install the ATI Silencer 5, I'm going to put my old MX400 card in and remove that to fully inspect the card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users