Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buzzing/Static through speakers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 producer1

producer1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

This is quite long but I'm trying to be as detailed as possible.

Mobo: ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775
Graphic Card: Radeon HD 5770
PSU: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W
RAM: 3 sticks of Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) KVR800D2N5/1G
Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 44

ASUS BIOS: latest
All drivers: latest

PROBLEM: There's a constant static coming through my speakers and when I drag a window around the screen or scroll websites, you can hear it through my speakers, I also hear the "buzz" in BIOS when I hit an arrow key. I'm pretty sure this is a driver issue because I've replaced the sound card and graphic card but the problem still remains, and the static/popping isn't present in SAFE MODE.

Here's a video showing 3 different sounds my computer is making:

YELLOW "!" IN DEVICE MANAGER
This came up recently after I installed my new graphic card today actually, the Found New Hardware Wizard won't go away saying it found a new PCI Device. I checked the device manager and I have a yellow ! under System devices>PCI Device which led me to running a program called 'Unknown Device Manager' and it shows 3 unknown devices.
1. PCI DEVICE (UNKNOWN DEVICE) Chip: ATI Technology
2. PCI DEVICE (UNKNOWN DEVICE) Chip: Intel 82801IB/IR/IH (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
3. PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge: Chip: Intel X38/X48 Chipset PCIe Port 2

That 'HD Audio Controller' might be the culprit?

I've ruled out that it's not the:
- Sound card (bought a new Delta 44, didn't fix it)
- Graphic card (bought a new graphic card, didn't fix it)
- Speaker cables (bought new cables)
- I unplugged the USB ports inside the computer.
- Unplugged all the fans.
- I muted Windows audio volume.
- Disabled the asus HD audio in bios.
- It's not my speakers because this was happening with my old speakers when I first built my PC.

*In SAFE MODE the buzzing is not there, my speakers are totally silent and normal.

Anyone have a clue what's going on? No one can pin point this problem for me.

Edited by producer1, 15 April 2011 - 09:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:15 PM

04-23-11 /USA!

@ producer1:

I've type searched these google links I felt were relative to this XP Audio issue for you.

They may, or may not, help:

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1016&bih=543&q=Jesus+on++good+saturday%2Fniv&btnG=Google+Search#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&biw=1016&bih=543&source=hp&q=Static+speakers+in+XP%2F&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=f26a11cf684416b

You also mentioned that you "muted Windows audio volume."

I was also wondering.

Did you consider right clicking the speaker icon in system tray and examine Advanced Features?

In right click drop-down screen they are as follows:

> Open Volume Control.
> Audio Properties.

When selecting OPEN VOLUME CONTROL, the Master Mixer console appears showing independent volume faders and mutes to various other items such as:

Master Volume / Wave / SW Synth / CD Player / Line Volume
, etc.

Up at top in File Menu of this console, you can select:

> Options and choose Properties.

When that happens, you have a three option view for

1. Mixer Device.
2. Adjust Volume for Playback & Recording.
3. Check boxes for all volume control functions on the mixer.

Click > OK to get out of that option function after you are through examining things there.

Return back to system tray and right click volume icon again to choose:

Adjust Audio Properties.

This area is a bit more involving BUT may bring you closer to a resolve regarding your main issue.

The SOUND & AUDIO DEVICE Properties box will appear.

At top are (5) button selections for:

Volume / Sounds /Audio / Voice / Hardware.

The last one (hardware) is pretty important to check out.

That section will show your DEVICE STATUS and offer TROUBLE SHOOTING options.

The middle part is DEVICE VOLUME. By clicking > ADVANCED returns you to Master Mixing Console.

The bottom section is SPEAKER SETTINGS.

Select > ADVANCED and choose what type of speakers are plugged into your sound card right now.

In your case it should be: Desktop Stereo Speakers.

If not, scroll down and choose accordingly.

In closing, whether you realized these advanced audio functions, or not, reviewing them will be helpful to you at some point.

Good luck!

Re,

MH~

Edited by windummy, 23 April 2011 - 12:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users