Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too large for Destination File System?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lunchables

lunchables

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:20 PM

I downloaded a 4GB .mkv file of a concert I wanted to watch. But since this was on my netbook, I tried to transfer the file to a 16GB Kingston USB Drive which is empty as I have bought it new. However I get an error saying that the "file is too large for the destination file system" and thus, cannot move my file to the USB. What is going wrong here?

Here's a picture of the popup that occurs.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

How is Kingston drive formatted? I`m guessing fat or fat 32.

Edited by ThunderZ, 15 April 2011 - 10:47 PM.

#3 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:11 AM

If it's formatted as FAT32 the maximum file size is 4GB. You can try splitting the file with something like HJSplit or converting your USB to NTFS (which is not recommended) to overcome the problem. When you want to play the file just copy it to the computer you want to play it on and join it with HJSplit.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:20 AM

converting your USB to NTFS (which is not recommended)

Curious as to why you say that?
Other then read\write, recognition problems with older OS`s I see no reason not to format to NTFS. A bit simpler then having to split and rejoin files.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

I too don't understand NTFS not recommended. Can someone help on this. Why not recommended.

#6 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

Oh sorry, I must have zoned out. Converting to NTFS is fine. You can use an external utility (can't remember the name) or you can backup your USB and format it as an NTFS drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users