Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Absent Display Screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cmyth

cmyth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:14 PM

I own a Dell Studio 15 I bought 2 years ago. The OS in it is Windows 7 Home Premium. Of late, two very strange things have been happening to my computer.

1) It is very difficult to get the display screen back, once I've used the safe mode to revert to an earlier restore point. What usually appears after restoration is the appearance of the Windows logo, then the screen that says 'Welcome' which remains on for a minute or more, and then a blank gray screen appears, with the cursor, but no wallpaper or shortcuts on the desktop, and no taskbar. How do I fix it ? I go through all options, switch-offs and switch-ons and many others and lo ! The desktop appears, as if nothing had happened, to my complete bafflement.

2) This, problem No.2, has been happening of late, as in the last two weeks. The display desktop (final) refuses to appear if the computer has been switched off for more than six hours, and I have to go through all the motions of restoration (incantations and prayers not inclusive) to get it back in working order.

I hardly ever fiddle with the Registry. I am fairly computer-literate (hardware and software), and have no problems comprehending technical data. I use firewalls, routers, malware cleaners and the Ccleaner (but not its registry cleaner) My default browser is Firefox 4 and I've been using computers for more than a decade and have been/am on many forums. I have however not taken this problem to any other forum. I also use Combofix fairly regularly, downloaded from here.

Do enlighten me on how to get a working computer back from my bleeping one ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:22 PM

I am just a simple computer user. If is was my computer I would first make sure my computer was clean using my anti virus and malwarebytes. If I had any programs like make my desktop pretty ect. I would remove them. Then I would run sfc /scannow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users